still engraving

Christiaan

Elite Cafe Member
For a dead man you do some really fine engraving. That must have been a really stunning shotgun. Thanks so much for showing.

rpowers

Very Nice

Your shotgun looks really nice. I like the modeling and deep relief also the design has a very fluid appearence. Very nice.

Thanks for the pic,
Rex Powers

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow Carl, looks like you might have lightened that Parker a couple of pounds. You were moving a lot of metal there. Very nice!..............Ron S

Tdavis

Nice

Great piece Carl, I asked Roger the other day if you were still cutting. I tried to find you a few years ago to see if you still did " ink " but could not locate you. Ended up at Glen Scotts.
Keep up the great work.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Somehow I don't think the owner has to worry about that scene 'wiping off' if he takes that gun out in the field.

nhcowboy1961

Elite Cafe Member
What a beautiful example of engraving! I'm still "green" but have gotten better over time and am taking the course at Glendo's GRS training center with Diane Scalese in March/April.
Looking at the engraving in that shotgun my initial reaction was "Wow, I'll never be able to do that." However...when I think back to my first attempts and where I stand now after several years the difference is measureable in a good way. This site, the images of other's work, and the generosity of helpful information and knowledge exchange are amazing and so needed for me. As of yet self taught and living in NH-a vast wasteland of anything Western-the opportunities to exchange information, obtain helpful advice and constructive criticism, will allow me to achieve my full potential.
Three cheers to all here, and Sam-you inspire me to always strive to be my best. One note from you I read emphasized the importance of back cutting. You said something along the lines of "When I see back cutting left out it makes the work look like the engraver was in a hurry or disinterested, don't be one of them!" I hear those words every single time I need to back cut and make sure I am NOT one of them :)

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
beyond beautiful ! i would call this true sculpture in metal. most of the great guys here wish they were this good !

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i heard some thought i was dead but i'm just getting older and still engraving.

carl: if i may, one reason the forum is great, is the chance to post fotos such as you have shared here. do you have any other fotos lurking around ? if you do, there's lots of folks that would enjoy looking at them.
thank you

Ranchman

Elite Cafe Member
That's fantastic. I'd also like to see more of your work. I wish I could see the rest of the parker.
Thank you for sharing.
Jeff

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Beautiful sculpting work. You got a lot of depth and a wonderfully flat background. Was the background done with gravers alone or was rotary used also?

carl bleile

Elite Cafe Member
Mike,
the Parker was done with gravers, ive tried the rotary( grs high speed ) on practice plates but found it to hard to control and very easy to nick other parts of the work, just the lightest miss touch on another area and i would have a major rework. another thing i found was that even carbide burrs would only last a few mins. even at a reduced speed. Once i went deeper than high relief i had to make special tools to remove background and do the sculpting.

Attachments

• IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

carl bleile

Elite Cafe Member
Monk, ive sent in another pic. of the Parker to Mike Cirelli in answer to his question. the gun is still being worked on. These pics. were sent to my customer to keep him informed of the progress, i put the wood on so he could better visualize it. this gun was done extra bold because it is to be case colored and i didn't want a lot of fine detail to be lost.