Question: stone setting

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Today, I was practicing bead and brightcut setting some 5mm cz's into 14 guage, I was wondering if it is OK to let a stone hang out the back of the metal on things like necklaces and things that don't lay completely against the skin. Just over a third of the 5mm cz's hang out the back, and just a little bit of 4mm cz's hang out the back of the hole in 14 gauge. Is this a big NO NO, or OK in certain cercumstances? Thanks everyone. Seth

Jackson

Wouldn't that be sharp on the back of a pendant. It would scratch the skin if its exposed. I set 8mm stones in initial buckles and the first one I did lay just inside the back of the buckle and the first time the belt went through it popped out the stone. So from that experience I would say no....
Jackson

Harpuahound

Elite Cafe Member
As a jeweler I can tell you its a huge no no if its going to be touching the skin at all. That said, sometimes the customer says do it anyways. But i never design anything like that.

Daniel Houwer

Elite Cafe Member
you can set a stone in a thin plate of metal, but you can not let the point of the stone be able to touch the skin. So build a bariar around the stone or stone's so they can protrude the top metal but ar not able to touch the skin by building a case around the top metal. Like with this unfinished prong setting.
http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d51/danielhouwer123/?action=view&current=DSCN0099-1.jpg
hope this helps. I know this is not a plate with stone's set in but it showes how you can fix the point of the stone touching the skin.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Seth, it seems like it's No and No.
Stone setters would never; although we're not supposed to say never.
Kevin P.

nomentalgiant

Elite Cafe Member
Its true that the culet should never sit proud of it's setting and touch the skin. If if the metal is too thin, the proper way as Daniel pointed out is to build up the metal from the top. However, when working for someone who never turns down a job, one must occasionally get "creative.":beat up:
So when customer and boss refuse to listen to common sense, sometimes I'll solder a jump ring to the backside of the piece to protect skin from culet! Happy setting!

Last edited: