Study kit arrived...Life is good!

Eddi

Elite Cafe Member
Just got my engraving study kit from GRS. Great stuff. I´m as exited as a kid at christmastime! I think this is the best way to learn engraving if you can´t go to a GRS course.

Eddi

pappy

Elite Cafe Member
Study kit

Is this the Ron Smith kit? If so, be careful because the steel cuts very, very, easily. I had been cutting on cronite, but as I started to cut the kit plates they were unexpectedly soft. I spoiled my first one by going to deep. But they are The Best! After you do a plate, blacken it and take it upstairs and just study the shading. I am working in the Advanced book and I'm starting to get the way shading works.
Happy cutting!!
pappy

Eddi

Elite Cafe Member
Yes it is the Ron Smith kit. I am used to cutting gold and silver so the steel not too soft for me.
I was going to post a picture of the first plate I engraved but they are so shiny that the only thin on the picture was the mirrored image of me and the camera, and you don´t want to see that!
I wish I could play with that practice kit all day but I have to work too.

Eddi

pappy

Elite Cafe Member
Eddi, I've never cut anything but steel, but I plan to get some silver and gold to inlay with. What would you say those plates cut like? Silver or Gold?

Eddi

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Steve

I think it´s closer to gold. I mostly cut 14k gold. It can be very different. Something that is cast is usually much softer than the things that I make. All my stuff is hammered into shape. It cuts much better.
The silver is that way too. Cast is softer than "die struck" or rolled or hand made. I hope you understand this. I´m not sure how to explain this in english. I can explain it better in Icelandic, but that will probably not help.:)

All the best
Eddi