Critique Request Suggestions for small Lake Knife.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I bought one of Ron Lakes' Factory made folders. This is the one I asked about a few weeks ago. It's been commissioned as a gift and there was a limited budget. I've been very pleased with the quality of the knife for the price but was surprised at how small it is in hand. The shape of the folder looks just like the expensive models he makes (without all the high end details and expensive materials). I do believe the gorgeous engraved ones we see on the forum are quite a bit larger. This only has a 2.25 in. blade.

Anyway, I've been struggling with the design. The customer wanted a traditional style but I have free reign on the final design. Please evaluate the rough sketches below. I've been looking at it so long, that I don't really see it anymore. Your suggestions are welcome and needed!

Attachments

• Lake-knife-first-design.jpg
    Lake-knife-first-design.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 179

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Really nice design Doc.

At first glance, what I notice are two areas which are not only focal points, but when modified will make shading a lot easier as well bring this design out of the knife when correctly shaded.

1. The blue circle shows the part of the vine which should pass under the finial or terminating leaf of the center scroll. By doing so, you are not splitting a major leaf and focal point in two. Shading will be much easier as well.

2. The red circle shows a section of vine which should pass under the array of leaves and folds.

If left alone, the vines tend to be more 2 dimensional than the elements which they are passing over. You will lose those elements' maximum potential of dimension and essentially flatten them.

Hope that helps ...

Chris

Attachments

• Lake-knife-first-designrevised.jpg
    Lake-knife-first-designrevised.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chris, thanks for the input! I had the "blue" part originally how you showed it but I thought it was necessary to do the standard "over-then-under" routine. I like your suggestion better. Now, if I do the "blue correction", should I then run the downward vine OVER the next loop etc. and into the over-under patten?

It really does help to have second set of eyes to evaluate your design once in a while!

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Hi Doc, I think this is one of those instances where following the "rules" too strictly can hinder the potential of a design. Specifically, it means sacrificing two of the most interesting elements in the design.

I like the idea of the center leaf busting through to the front after its' vine has passed around the back. To me it just seems natural (and unhindered) to leave that leaf's exit point where it is. Just reversing the over under of the red and blue circled areas are all I would revise unless my gut feeling was on the fence in which case I would make another revision to eliminate any doubt.

Technically, you'll find that bending the "rules" works so long as the design conveys both flow and drama effectively. .... and in this case, it does.

Last edited:

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Technically, you'll find that bending the "rules" works so long as the design conveys both flow and drama effectively. .... and in this case, it does.

I think you're right Chris, I've always said that once one learns the "rules" you can start to bend them in certain instances. Knowing the rules is important and one of the fundamentals of engraving but once learned there are certain times where bending them can be fun or give better aesthetics. In this instance I agree with you, to rigidly adhere to them won't work as well as bending them.

With the suggested adjustments this is a really nice design Mark.

Can anyone tell me if this knife supplier ships outside of the USA?

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marcus, as far as I know they can ship anywhere. The company where I found this knife is Hanwei Katana Swords. It is listed as "Ron Lake Stag Folder, KH2521"

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the offer Fred. I did email the company but haven't heard anything back yet. Hopefully they will ship to England but if not I might just take you up on your offer. They look like very nice knives. Is it well made Mark?

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The knife's action is nice and smooth and the finish is good. The Sambar stag scales are not high end but I'm going to try to polish them to get a deeper sheen. The one with the stag scales has a mat finished metal work and the Mother-of-Pearl has a high-shine handle. They come with a nice soft leather pocket pouch. They are made in China but the shape and lock action is Ron Lake's design, and at $200.00 they are a LOT less than his handmades. I'm going to get one for my own use.

athurart09

Really nice design Doc.

At first glance, what I notice are two areas which are not only focal points, but when modified will make shading a lot easier as well bring this design out of the knife when correctly shaded.

1. The blue circle shows the part of the vine which should pass under the finial or terminating leaf of the center scroll. By doing so, you are not splitting a major leaf and focal point in two. Shading will be much easier as well.

2. The red circle shows a section of vine which should pass under the array of leaves and folds.

If left alone, the vines tend to be more 2 dimensional than the elements which they are passing over. You will lose those elements' maximum potential of dimension and essentially flatten them.

Hope that helps ...

Chris

Thank you so much for the post. It's really informative!