Thar's a nor'easter a-blowin

Jon C. Dake

Here is a hobo nickel that I recently completed that I was pleased with. I think my best work so far. Your constructive criticism will be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• Fisherman.JPG
    Fisherman.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 192

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Being a sailboat junky that one is right down my ally.

Composition and everything looks good on that Jon.:)

Tezash

Great job, nicely done. In my openion, the subject (sailor) is shifted to the left, it could be nice if it was in the center, so the background is balanced. And secondly, if the sailor view is three quarter view, the wheel should be three quarter too.
Overall I like it, great job, thank you for sharing us.

Tez.

Jon C. Dake

Thanks everyone for the kind comments.

Tez: I suppose you are probably right but I'm not sure how I would have done that (3/4 view of wheel), I was amazed that I was able to carve it at all without lopping off one of the spokes or something. I think that the wind is blowing really hard and that is why he is leaning to the left.

Stephen: Pat still likes your coins best (what's wrong with that picture?) She says Hi.

I really enjoy this coin carving stuff. Beats the heck out of cutting practice plates!

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would suspect that dressed in his oilskins he is in foul weather and probably pulling really hard to keep the bow into the wake to avoid a broach and capsize.

Hows that for a reason Jon :D

mikekoller

I think that is what makes this work... you can see ye ol captain giving it all he has to keep her right.
To capture motion is a still rendering... whether paper, metal, etc... well....... it not an easy task.