The Ancient Craft

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was looking for something in back issues of THE ENGRAVER when I came across a poem I wrote in 1996 that was published in issue 30. It is dedicated to those living and dead who have devoted themselves to engraving. I hope you like it.

THE ANCIENT CRAFT

The flowing trace of spiral lines
Engraved in steel like living vines
Surround the graven stag and hound
About whose forms the leaves are wound.

What hand has wrought this florid scene
With simple tools, not great machine?
By hammer blows on chisel shaft
Or graver moved by ancient craft.
Engravers cut the gold and steel
By hand, by eye, by subtle feel.

While skills of hand now die away
The hand engravers work each day.
Around the world the trade they ply
Makes sure their art will never die.

Roger Bleile

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice work Roger.
Maybe we will set it to music and miss Abigail can sing it next time the engraving pickers have a get together!

Weldon

Last edited:

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Wonderful. Well written, Roger.
Are you up for singing it Miss Abigail?
Maybe it could become the Cafe's theme song?
Anyone going to set it to music, Sam, Rod, Ron, Weldon or Fred?
Do you compose music too, Roger?
Or should we all kick in a couple of bucks and hire someone.
Just a thought, John B.

Daniel Houwer

Elite Cafe Member
Wauw, On the dot!

Just like "best things in life are still made by hand!"
The cnc computer and laser guided machines and wax printers can do so much these days.
Twelve year old kids can design rings or other jewelery in 3D computer programs with more ease then anyone, and have them wax printed and cast in silver or gold without knowing how to work anything else but the computer.

Sincerely hope that your last verse is true!

Daniel

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
c. roger- i never learned what the "c" stood for. but i know what you stand for. it's obvious when anyone reads this nice poem. it shows you care about the flow of word, of line, and tradition. the arts. people like you are to be celebrated. it's been a truckload of years since you visited me, but i still remember that visit. it was not long in duration, but has had an influence on me to this day. thank you ! monk

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
We must think alike Roger, as I was inspired at about the same time you wrote your poem. Wonder what it is that makes an engraver into a poet. My poem is "Time Lines", written in and for my latest book. How similar the theme is. check it out............Ron S
I guess it is just the power of the passion................Right on, ride on Roger.............

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ron, I just reread your poem and you are right, we must have been thinking alike! For the benefit of those who don't have your book I hope you will type it into a new thread. All of the "how to" and exposition on the forum is wonderful and appreciated but it doesn't hurt to have a little philosophy here as well.

CRB