The thought process in creating

joseph engraver

Elite Cafe Member
The thought process of creating
Gone are the palm fronds and their inhabitants. No more spiders, scorpions, snakes, or rats. Now I have a new water proof roof, work bench, drawing table, a comfortable stool to work from, new paint, wallpaper, and skylight and glass window to keep the salted night winds from corroding my tools. The good folks at GRS have shipped me a Magna block and a few essential graver bits. They even took the time to find a new loupe, a ruby stone and some small files elsewhere and include them in my package of new but familiar toys which has yet to arrive here. In my previous studio I worked with two different engraving vises. The first was Magna block where I did my drawing and burin work. The other vise I learned on in Italy; which I liked for its ability to handle large rifle receivers without tilting on its base.
As there will be only one vise in this studio and I doubt that I will engrave guns it will have an adjustable stand for the Magna block made from steel tubing so that I may work standing or sitting.
Zihuatanejo, Mexico has many fine silver shops at one of them I bought a flat strip and have been working on getting my digital muscles back in shape trying different design ideas on paper while waiting on my tools. This brings me to the main reason of this post. I am left handed and do my drawing from right to left in order to keep the paper clean. These are the thoughts that went through my mind as I worked on these ideas
#1 and2 Hey, I’m an old man why not something simple.
#3and4 How about a fairy princes and a frog?
#5 How about something geometric? This exercise is interesting, and what type of borders would look good?
#6 my lawyer is a decent guy who likes owls. How about a Justice Owl with the vermin in its talons?
#7 a more refined #5
#8 did not spark my imagination.
#9 the design I have chosen to refine and engrave. I have been a busy boy for the last month

Attachments

• bracelet drawings.jpg
    bracelet drawings.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 211
  • newstudiobest.jpg
    newstudiobest.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 178

Andrew Biggs

Hi Joseph

You have indeed been a busy boy for the last month. Clean out of the workshop, interior decorating, new tools......................yahoooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!! :D

You said in one of your previous posts that you were inspired to start engraving again..........and you really meant it. Fantastic!!!!!

Love the drawings and the thought process.....................just great. :)

Cheers
Andrew

Andrew Biggs

Hey Joseph

I have visions of you with your leg in a magnum vise tatooing yourself with a 90 V graver using hammer and chisel. :eek:

Actually that's not far off from how the old Maori used to tattoo (Moko). They used more of a hammer & chisel method as opposed to dots. That's why if you look at the old photos and paintings (like Goldie) of Maori you'll see that the Moko looks more like a carving in texture and deeply lined in the face.

Me........I'll stick to engraving as it's a lot less painful :)

Cheers
Andrew

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Joseph
Good looking studio please give us a update when the tools arrive. Tatoo,s HUMM I am with Andrew on this one.:eek: Dave

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Joseph

It's great to see you getting back into engraving just for the fun of it!

But I have to say you years of experience mean that your 'something simple' is, for me, something to strive for as a near-masterpiece. Someday, however, I hope to be where they would be simple for me too.

Looking forward to seeing the end results.