Todays Practice

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Good Job. I can see the improvement from your first set of initials. The spacing and layout are much better and that goes for the positive and negative space too. The longer flowing cuts down the length of the letters helps with how the eye moves around the group. Keep up the good work. :)

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Oooh! Ooo! I can answer that one!

Positive space describes the lines & shapes you draw - in the picture in your post it would be the yellow airplane wings (for one example).

Negative space describes the areas you don't draw that are defined by what you do draw. The triangles within the wings of the airplane.

In an engraving example, the leaves of a scroll are positive space and the areas you relieve / stipple between them are the negative spaces.

Going back up to your examples from today, the heavy 'ribbons' of the letters are postive spaces and the graceful arcs between them are the negative spaces. Looking at the 'V' on the bottom the ribbon that forms the upper section could be part of several letters - L, D, etc.. But the shape of the negative space defined by the lower line just screams 'V'. In fact, you may or may not even consciously notice the lower (right hand side) line of the V as much as you notice the shape of the space between it and the heavier upper / left line.

Jim Sackett

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the discription Steve

Considering negative space then, does this look better. Aside from pulling A's or L's under T's W's & P's or putting a little extra space between O's & Q's I havent looked at negative & positive space much.

This gives me a whole new way of looking at things. Thank you Steve and Tira.

Jim Sackett :cool: Negitive Space.JPG