Toner Printer

Reece

Hello all. I seem to have a slight problem. I purchased a HP LaserJet 5p printer online for my transfers, but when I try to transfer the image using acetone It doesn't transfer. I called GRS asking why It wasn't working and they told me not all toner printers work for transfers :mad: So as you can imagine its very frustrating and if anyone has any suggestions about maybe applying some chemical, or anything that can help me out would be greatly appreciated.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've used a 6P for years and it works fine. A 6P is just a newer model of a 5P and both use the same cartridge. Maybe it's a strange cartridge or something. Try different paper and play with the acetone. For what it is worth, I use a spray "brake cleaner" used for automotive needs but I don't think it really matters.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
How exactly is it failing?

Is the toner not 'melting' at all? Is it smearing / blurring? And just to be sure, what's the procedure that you're using?

I clean the metal with some acetone on a paper towel, let it dry, then lay the printout (face down, of course) over the metal. Sometimes I secure it with a bit of masking tape, sometimes I don't. If I do secure it I just do one edge - I don't want it to slip but I want to be able to peel the paper away from the toner while it's still 'melted'. Then I dab / wipe the back with a paper towel with acetone on it. I lift the paper off as soon as the whole image is covered. Each attempt requires a fresh copy of the image so I usually cut & paste to give me a page full of copies.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
As Rex said, try different paper.
Some paper seems to have a plastic content and the acetone does not go through it.
An easy check......Wipe the print side with acetone......it should smear.
If not try a different solvent.
Just a thought, John B.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Try to use fingernail polish remover. Sometimes acetone is to strong. If that doesn't work the toner may not be transferable. What you should do before you buy a printer is go to the office supply store, theres a way to print out a test page. Go down the line take them home and see which ones transfer the best. I use a minolta and it transfers great.

Sponsors