Trinidad/NRA engraving class

sdcoxx

Elite Cafe Member
I took my GRS Basic Engraving class by Steve Dunn at Trinidad in 2006.
The school and community provided a wonderful experience for my entire family.
You can not beat the singing waiters at the local Italian restaurant and the steaks at Black Jack's Tavern.
My wife and mother enjoyed the scenic drives the area offers and hiked the rim of the nearby valcano.
The school administrator kept the coffee pot full and was available to assist the students.
Steve Dunn is an excellent instructor and by the end of the week I was doing transfers, borders, lettering, gold inlay and even a little bulino....
The only drawback is there was not a microscope at every work station. However, my sales rep had a scope waiting for me when I arrived home.
We will always have fond memories of the school and community of Trinidad.
Stephen

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sounds like it will be a good time. I've heard they are very nice there. Of course, I think they have named the engraving classroom the "Bearclaw" room for as much as John has taught there!!!!

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
We once had a sign painter in the class, great guy, Jack Badgero.
When we came back from lunch he had posted a sign over the door " Bearclaw's Metal Peckers."
It was an H&C class and the tap-tap of the hammers had brought most of the school to see what was going on there.
We had lots of happy times in Trinidad and I wish the same for Mr. Rex.
But some of us won't tell about all our misdeeds there, will we Sandy!

John B.

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Trinidad is a neat place. I remember meeting John Barraclough when we were both taking Neil Harltleips classes back in the early 80s. Back when John and I were just pups! I was really pleased to have a homecoming and teach a class a in Trinidad for for the joint NRA/GRS classes a few years back.

Rex, go out in the evenings on the CF&I Steel lands and watch the Elk come down to feed at dark. Trinidad also has a great microbrewery there now as well. Hey, maybe I'll come take your class....

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here's some fun pics from that class. First is Kerry Bogan at his bench. Second is what happens if you happen to be a gunsmith instructor at Trinidad State (Dave Nolan) who brings his rolling toolbox into room and just happen to be taking an engraving class when the cosmetology classroom is left open, and said gunsmith instructor leaves before the rest of the students on a late evening sessions. Last shot is the guilty and innocent particpants.

Attachments

• CBFU5627.jpg
    CBFU5627.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 40
  • CBFU5631.jpg
    CBFU5631.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 46
  • CBFU5635.jpg
    CBFU5635.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Mr. John,
My lips are sealed. For the most part.

Mr. Rex.
If you get bored you could always run to the top of Mt. Trinidad. That was a fun thing to do.

Sandy

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew,
You bet ya. It was fun once. If you don't believe me ask John. I start on Monday running in the YMCA swimming pool. that is a big switch from what I use to do. Time is a killer of all things great and good.
John, Loose lips sink ships.
Sandy

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Rex,
I need alot of help with drawing and a few other things other than basic engraving...
Will you get into some more advanced study beyond the GRS basic course???
Jerry

Last edited:

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sandy,
I think I'll pass on running up the Mount Trinidad too!! Sounds other things to do better there than that.
Jerry,
First.. This is not a GRS class... This is put on by the college. I just happen to be teaching it. There really won't be much about drawing. I touch on it some but a week to do everything just isn't enough. Drawing is something you just need to spend a LOT of time on yourself.

leschowe

Elite Cafe Member
I have taken 2 NRA sponsored gunsmithing classes at the Trinidad College and was
very pleased with the experience. The cost was reasonable, the people were very
nice, the instructors and the facilities were excellent, and I enjoyed the town.
Can't ask for more than that.

Les Schowe

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Rex,
I didn't ask if this was a GRS class...
From the discription on the link you posted, the course would cover basic engraving with power assist...
I ask if you... Will you get into some more advanced study beyond the GRS basic course???
Jerry

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jerry,
I just wanted to be clear to all that this wasn't a GRS class as some know I teach there as well. This class will be geared for the student with little or no engraving skills. No advanced study is on the agenda for this class. Also, there are no microscopes for the students in Trinidad either.
I do a firearms engraving class at GRS this summer which is an intermediate class.

Latest posts

Sponsors