Announcement: USFA featured on Science Channel's “How Do They Do It?â€￾

DakotaDocMartin

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Anyone interested in Colt SAA's and clones will want to watch this. I'm going to set my DVR to record it. :yes

From a recent email I received from USFA:

Catch USFA® on TV Friday July, 30th at 10.00pm

How is an Old West Single Action made? The USFA Single Action will be featured in an episode of “How Do They Do It?â€￾ that airs later this month on the Science Channel. Spokesman and President of USFA®, Douglas Donnelly said a film production crew spent a day in March filming at USFA's state-of-the-art plant in Hartford, CT.

Donnelly is a regular viewer of the show and welcomed the chance to “to showcase his American craftsmanship.â€￾ USFA Single Actions are built by hand and by using high tech machinery. This combination of technology and workmanship produces a high quality product with beautiful finish and outstanding attention to detail.

The first episode on the Science Channel featuring USFA® will air on Friday July, 30th at 10.00pm. And then re-aired again on Saturday July, 31st at 1.00am and 5.00am, and then Saturday August, 21st at 7.00pm (all Eastern Standard Time). And for our British friends; Discovery UK will air its first episode on the main channel in the UK on Tuesday 10th August at 8pm (British Summer Time). Dates and times are subject to change.

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
I bought a 4 3/4 inch Rodeo (45 Long Colt) from them a couple years ago and am very pleased with the six-gun. It is very well made and tuned like a song. I guess I've got close to 1000 rounds through it and there still is no score mark in the cylinder and it hits where you aim it.
I bought it to engrave but as yet have not worked up a decent pattern. Maybe this winter I'll do some cutting.
Has anyone else cut one yet and if so how well or poorly did it cut?

DakotaDocMartin

That's in my long term goals also. I currently shoot a pair of 5 1/2" nickel Colt SAA's and have a 7 1/2" blued and case colored USFA. (Personally, I think USFA makes a better Colt than Colt does.) I'm planning on buying a serialized pair of 5 1/2" USFA's in the white just for the purpose of engraving them. :yes

Their factory engraver does a lot of them and I've saved off all of their high-res images of their engraved SAA's from their website. I'm assuming they must be very much engravable.

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
I specifically wanted the Rodeo because of it's fine bead blasted finish. I knew I would be cutting on it one day and I didn't need the Color Casing or pretty blueing. I didn't know you could purchase one of their six-guns in the "White."

Since you're into this cowboy thing have you any leads on where to buy some suitable elk antler bases for making a set of antler grips?

DakotaDocMartin

I specifically wanted the Rodeo because of it's fine bead blasted finish. I knew I would be cutting on it one day and I didn't need the Color Casing or pretty blueing. I didn't know you could purchase one of their six-guns in the "White."

Since you're into this cowboy thing have you any leads on where to buy some suitable elk antler bases for making a set of antler grips?

I contacted them a year or so ago and asked it it's possible to buy them fully assembled, polished and in the white. I think the price was somewhere around $750 each.

I used to get elk antler and buttons from a couple of hunters I knew. There are people out in Montana and Colorado that will go out and pick shed antlers and sell them too. I think if you were to Google it you'd find a few places like that.

Also, if you can find out where there's a muzzle loading rendezvous nearby the traders generally sell such wares.

engravertom

Hi Folks,

I've engraved a boat load of USFA guns over the last 5+ years. They do have some tough areas. I find the cylinders to be a bit tough on carbide type tools. i think the barrels cut more smoothly, but I have talked with another engraver that finds the barrels harder to engrave than the cylinders.

take your time, keep your tools sharp, and make sure your work is solidly fixtured and well supported.

All that aside, they are very nice guns!

take care,

Tom

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
SAA Holster:

Doc, here's a custom holster I purchased this year for the SAA. It can be carried with a slight foward cant, or cross draw. (Hope the attached photos work.)

Attachments

• SAA Holster 1.jpg
    SAA Holster 1.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 36
  • SAA Holster 2.jpg
    SAA Holster 2.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 34

DakotaDocMartin

That would probably work well if you were to carry it for CCW use. You'd probably need to wear an overcoat though. :)

I should photograph my two cowboy action shooting rigs some day so I could show them off. One is a fancy carved and tooled rig by Big Ed Douglas of San Pedro Saddlery and the other is one that Purdy Gear did for me. I made some conchos from 90% silver 1947 and 1948 Mexican 5 Peso coins she used to help decorate it.

There's no end to the money spendin' when it comes to CAS. :thumbs up: