walmart photo setup

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Did anyone try out the mini photo studio that was talked about a while back?

Powderhorn

Elite Cafe Member
Lee, KCSteve:
Ive got one of them, and I do like it. I did make a modification though, for some projects, I use 2 of the LED bar-b-q lights, as I don't need any extension cords, or power.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There's full info in the 'Small Object Photography Tutorial' thread in the Tips section but basically it's about $50 and you'll find it in the Camera dept at Wal-Mart. You get two OK lights, a small tripod-like device (works for a small camera) and a setup that folds out into a fairly nice lightbox with a reversable drape (blue / grey). The case is part of it so it's easily portable. If you've got some daylight to work with it's great as a diffuser / studio.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I got one and it works like its supposed to. I keep the little tripod for when I forget and leave the real tripod upstairs, or downstairs, wherever I am it ain't! Its well worth the $40 to $50 and it packs easy.

mbroder

Elite Cafe Member
Here's a photo I took this morning using the wal-mart studio setup. I'm using an Olympus E-500 with the standard lens and some macro filters I bought on e-bay for $20.00. I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of it.

The ring in the photo is made of palladium and the customer specified that he didn't want it shiny. This is probably a topic for another thread, but I was wondering how many of the pro engravers out there turn out quick work, providing good quality for the masses but not necessarily museum quality on every job. What I mean is this- the ring pictured took me about 80 minutes start to finish. It was done for a retail jewelry store that loves my work, but probably has never seen some the engraving I've seen on this site. I know that I am capable of finer detail, but have to weigh my workload and my my ability to pay the bills against my desire to turn out the best work I possibly can. I could probably take an entire day to turn out the same ring with better results, but it just wouldn't be commercially cost effective. Does this seem wrong?

I read about many of you that take months and sometimes years to complete a project. Do you pay the bills with more commercial type work in between? Maybe the competition in the jewelry field is different than with knives and firearms.

I'd love to hear some other opinions on the subject.

Attachments

• new cam pic2 022 to edit.jpg
    new cam pic2 022 to edit.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 66

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mark,

Beautiful work!!
In answer to your question; I find it is best for me to work on a variety of projects while I'm involved in something like the Barrett Colt shown on another thread. Projects like that require a lot of time and I can burn out a little with the intensity required. It helps me to work on some "quickie" stuff to break the pressure a little. I would usually do this in-between the gold vignettes. Once I begin an intense little scene, I like to finish it. Once I'm done i find I can work on some other project, feel good about finishing them, get a few bucks and then refocus on the biggie. I'm sure everyone is a little different, that just what works for me at this point in time.

Hope that helps,

Weldon

Latest posts

Sponsors