Washington Cathedral: Saturday, Sept. 29

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
The cornerstone of the Washington National Cathedral in Washington, D.C., was set on Sept. 29, 1907, so this coming Saturday marks the centennial. There will be a large celebration, special tours including tower tours (a rarity), music, food, a reenactment of the laying of the cornerstone, and demonstrations of Cathedral arts and crafts. As part of the later, I will be there along with other members of the Stonecarvers Guild, and we will be demonstrating stone carving and answering questions. Don't you want to know how we carve Gargoyles? Come by and say hello, and I'll point out some of the nearly three dozen Gargoyles and Grotesques which I carved on that building.

The Cathedral will also have a birthday cake at 2 p.m.; I'm not sure if this is because that day is for the Cathedral or for me, since we share that day as our birthday.

I hope I'll see some of you in our tent on the North lawn. The Cathedral is on Wisconsin Ave. between Massachusetts Ave. and Woodley Road; our tent will be between the Cathedral and Woodley Road. We'll have people demonstrating stone carving from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; I have to do something else between 1 and 2:30, but I'll be there a good bit of of the rest of the day.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would be very intertested to attend if it were nearby. I think it would be great to see how stone carving is done.

I hope it goes well.

Peter

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
I remember a documentary film I saw on Public TV about a dozen years ago called The Stone Carvers. It was about how the church brought over from Italy several Stone Carvers to work on the church. It was very interesting. I believe they were supposed to enlist the local youth in a kind of apprenticship in Stone carving. Did they actually do that?

Gargoyle

I remember a documentary film I saw on Public TV about a dozen years ago called The Stone Carvers. It was about how the church brought over from Italy several Stone Carvers to work on the church. It was very interesting. I believe they were supposed to enlist the local youth in a kind of apprenticship in Stone carving. Did they actually do that?
You're mixing two things. St. John the Divine in NYC brought over some carvers in the late '70's and '80's and set up a training program for local youth.

The documentary you saw was on the carvers at the Washington Cathedral, particularly focusing on two Italians, Roger Morigi (who had retired before I started there) and Vincent Palumbo (whom I worked under), with a bit on one Greek carver (Constantine Seferlis) and one Yugoslav (Frank Zic). The film won an Oscar for short documentary around 1984. If you dig deep in the credits at the end of the film (use a magnifing glass) you'll find my name, since I was working there during the filming.

gail.m

Elite Cafe Member
maybe....

only the second time I ever had the desire to be in DC! The other was to have a month to spend at the Smithsonian. I hope you get the chance to get some photos to show us, or have a friend that will have the time.
Gail.m

Gargoyle

Gail.m, here is a page on my site with some of my cathedral gargoyles and grotesques:
http://stonecarver.com/cathedral.html
Sort of like hobo nickels perhaps?

I also did a lot of other work there, including helping to carve Frederick Hart's ex nihilo triptich over the west front entrances.