Western Buckle

Hello all. Its been awhile since I was here last. I was reading post regarding Western engraving. I saw someone had posted a picture of a buckle by Ernie Marsh. He is a real nice fellow, and a great craftsman. Ernie is a member of the Traditional Cowboy Artists. The TCA has a web site www.tcowboyarts.com. These guys are some of the best as far as western style engraving goes IMO. Dave Alderson is another great engraver, whom you will find on the TCA web site. I was able to attend there anual meeting in 2005, a great bunch of guys, who were more than willing to lend a hand and give advice. Wilson Capron is another member, and just lives a couple of miles from me. I will go by and clue him in to this site. I am sure he will be willing to lend a hand here.
I was wanting to post some pictures of a buckle I just finished up and get any in put, or advice, good, bad or indifferent. I look forward to hearing from everyone. May God Bless you, as He has me

Attachments

• UT rodeo 1.JPG
    UT rodeo 1.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 126
  • ut rodeo 2.JPG
    ut rodeo 2.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 129
  • ut rodeo 3.JPG
    ut rodeo 3.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 79
  • ut rodeo 4.JPG
    ut rodeo 4.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 109

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Caveman, nice work. Tell me (I'm an Englishman who's getting very interested in Western stuff), I followed your link to the cowboy arts page which is very interesting, is everything fabricated by the artist? For example, some of the 'bits' and 'belts' are gorgeously embellished but doest the engraver/embellisher make the bit or belt and buckle set too? I love to engrave and embellish but I don't think I've a) the knowhow or b) the tooling and c) the workshop space to manufacture the pieces first....but I'd love to have a go at engraving some pieces. Where does someone like me start in this field?

Marcus
Hello hope your good. I really admire your work. To answer your questions, yes most all of us who do western items make the items entirely by hand. Really there is not a lot of equipment involved. Until recently I cut everything out with a jewelers saw, including all of the 1/8 inch steel for my buckles. I now have a small band saw, and a small belt grinder, thus the name of "cavemans workshop". I dont have lots of equipment, but not a lot is needed. Most tools can be made, especially for bending and forming metal. I will be glad to share any of the things I use with you. I am sure there are better ways to do things than what I am doing. I have just had to learn most things on my own, and the way I do things has worked out well for me. Please holler if I can help in any way, I will do my best to do so. I do appreciate the comments on my work.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Shawn
Thank you for the link to the western art site.
Very good stuff. Lots of talented folks.
And you notice that most of them work with simple tools.
Many of which are obviously home made.
John B.