Western engraved Knife

Hello all, hope this finds everyone well. Someone awhile back asked about the knifves I am customizing, dont remember who now. I had posted some picture, but they werent very good. I am trying to get some better with my pictures. I thought I would post these. Any input, ideas, advice or suggestions, are all welcome. I really look forward to hearing advice from other craftsmen. This is a knife I customized. I removed the original scales, and overlaid new ones made of Red Brass, then engraved them. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• Brass trapper.JPG
    Brass trapper.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 237
  • brass trapper 1.JPG
    brass trapper 1.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 217
  • brass trapper 2.JPG
    brass trapper 2.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 112
  • brass trapper 3.JPG
    brass trapper 3.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 96
  • brass trapper4.JPG
    brass trapper4.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 229

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
caveman, how do you build up for the thickness of the scales? Is it layered?
the engraving is real nice has a good flow & I like the western touch.
Kent

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Caveman,
Excellent design and layout. I like it very much. I am not sure if it is just the picture or if the bolsters protrude above the thickness of the scales. I like the engraving a lot. It looks good with the styled nail nicks.

Peter

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i don't mean to offend anyone else, but finally a knife with a bit of a personality ! i love this piece ! if this knife was in my pocket, it would be singing a song !

Hello all and Thank you for the nice comments. I really do appreciate the encouragement from a group of craftsmen such as this group.
Dushane, Yes its great insurance, I love those commercials. You really should post the knife of yours on the Knife network, its VERY nice.

KSnyder The thickness is 16 gauge Red Brass. I keep metals on hand from 26 gauge to 10 guage. I can usually build up a new scale from a single piece, or put a couple together to get where I need to be. The scales are then soldered on and worked down, then engraved.

Peter Yes bolsters are slightly higher. Sometimes I will bring the scales up even with them, sometimes I use some bead wire to make the step more gradual. On this knife it was slight, so I left it alone.

Monk
Thanks for the comments, you are very gracious. I do appreciate it.

Ron
Hello, is this Ron Smith the gun engraver? If so I took a class form you in Oklahoma City at the TCA annual meeting in Sept 2005. If this is you hope all is well with you and yours, if not my hope is still the same. I do appreciate your comments.

If I can help anyone, please ask I am willing to share any info I have, This is a great place to learn
God Bless

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Caveman, I didn't recognize you cause you did'nt look like a caveman then. Well, yes.....I am a gun engraver, but I am an everything engraver too. That was a great class and everybody did exceptionally well don't you think? Good to hear from you again. Great work, my friend!
Ron S

webad2006

Caveman,

Great work as usual, I took some of your tips, and ideas from previuos post and used them on my latest project. Will post as soon as I figure out how to photo without so much glare. As always will look forward to future post, and any suggestions.

Bill.

Ron
Hello hope your well. Yes that was a great class, I did learn a lot. I guess the best part of the class was the people who attended. I was able to meet lots of good folks, and some very fine craftsmen. Thats also one of the good things about this forum, the knowledge that is out there, and the fact folks are willing to share. Hopefully we will run into each other in person again one of these days. What are you working on these days? I need to get a copy of your latest book, Wilson Capron highly recomends it, can I order from you directly? Well take care.
God Bless
Mike Pardue
www.parduesilversmith.com

We Badd
Glad something I said helped you out. There are some good posts on photography and the knife network. Great ideas on knife picture taking, the same applies to silver work and such. I look forward to seeing what your latest project is. Please holler if I can help in any way.

Peter
Thanks for the comments on my items. I feel I still have a ways to go. I get busy turning out orders for people, ( got a daughter in college 0, so I have to turn out stuff regulary. As a result I get stale and just keep doing what I am comfortable with., and not pushing myself to try new ideas. I hope to get slowed down soon, and work on kore of what I want and slow up on the custom stuff. I guess we will see. I do thank you for the comments.
God Bless
Mike

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
cavemans workshop

Hello all, hope this finds everyone well. Someone awhile back asked about the knifves I am customizing, dont remember who now. I had posted some picture, but they werent very good. I am trying to get some better with my pictures. I thought I would post these. Any input, ideas, advice or suggestions, are all welcome. I really look forward to hearing advice from other craftsmen. This is a knife I customized. I removed the original scales, and overlaid new ones made of Red Brass, then engraved them. Let me know what you think.

hay caveman, is that a wiggle cut? or is that done some other way ??

Hello
Yes that is a wiggle cut. I did this on the border as well as the scrolls. I used a 38 flat and 42 flat. Holler if I can help you.
Mike

Latest posts

Sponsors