western scroll

ken4c

i have a question for us western engravers when doing the layout on a buckle chonco etc do any of you eliminate the wriggle on the scroll i,m curious to see who leaves it out and how many have tried it
thanks ken

diane

Hi Ken. Guess I'll jump in on this one. I usually wriggle the scrolls, especially on larger pieces such as buckles and larger conchas. I leave it out when doing small work such as watches, necklaces, etc. I think the work looks a little cleaner when you are in small spaces if you leave out this step. You have to have perfect lining, though, and not get heavy with the crosshatching. One of the original engravers for Montana Silversmiths (can't remember his name - Stevens?) did a lot of the buckle masters in this style. It was a kind of signature of his.
Diane

ken4c

thanks diane i'vbeen wanting to asks this of the engravers out there but thought you guys might think im alittle off ,, but another engraver asked me if i'd seen it or tried this and i like the results but your verrrrrrrry correct when lining .
thanks ken

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Western Style Engraving

Hi Ken. Guess I'll jump in on this one. I usually wriggle the scrolls, especially on larger pieces such as buckles and larger conchas. I leave it out when doing small work such as watches, necklaces, etc. I think the work looks a little cleaner when you are in small spaces if you leave out this step. You have to have perfect lining, though, and not get heavy with the crosshatching. One of the original engravers for Montana Silversmiths (can't remember his name - Stevens?) did a lot of the buckle masters in this style. It was a kind of signature of his.
Diane

DIANE : ARE YOU THE PERSON WHO CREATED AND SELLS A TAPE OF WESTERN STYLE ENGRAVING? IF SO I WANT TO PURCHASE A COPY FROM YOU PLEASE. MONK45@VERIZON.NET WITH DETAILS

cowboy_silversmith

Elite Cafe Member
Ken,

The preference of my clientele dictates whether I wriggle or not to wriggle the spines of the scrolls. Here are a few pictures of my "spineless" engraving.

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
I actually won the saddle bronc riding at the Clements Stampede in 2000. I did'nt even get a buckle for it, Here I win a professional rodeo and don't get a buckle, isn't that something:rolleyes: , I would have certianly been happy to have gotten a buckle like you made there, beautiful. They changed that rodeo to an amature deal a year or two after so I quite entering it. Great bright cutting. Brian

ChrisB

Elite Cafe Member
Cowboy, Magnificent,!! I My Hay days in Africa, with the Advent of CB radios I was Known as COWBOY in my Call Sign, Althought out of Africa, I have Always Wanted to Follow the Out Of The West Style,!! I have Bought Many Cowboy Boots Local From a Importer, Have Many Bolo Ties, and always Listen To Country & Western Music!!!

Great Job, !!

What Would You Charge Me For The Buckle One,!! I'm Serious!! MayBe A Trade For A Knife?!!

Email: chris@cbknives.com.
www.cbknives.com

Darren

Elite Cafe Member
Very nice Cowboy.
Classic Skyline style bright cut engraving, I would like to know who you studied under?
Was it Haratch? I know he was teaching for a wile at the Revere acadamy.
If you have a web site please post a link, Thanks
Darren

cowboy_silversmith

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Darren,
It's been a year or two since we last spoke! Of course you are readily able to identify this engraving as classic Skyline seeing how we both worked together in the mid 80's (haha) !!! Hope all is well for you and yours up there in Montana. My daughter is going to make me a Grandpa sometime next week, unbelievable!
Your time must be fast appraoching as well ?

Well take care,
Greg Pauline

http://www.hiramwest.com

Darren

Elite Cafe Member
HaHa I thought that was you!
Tried calling you today. no luck.
Its about time you started getting active on some of these forums :)
Hope you stay active, I am sure your input and advice on western engraving
would be appreciated. I'll be getting ahold of you.

cowboy_silversmith

Elite Cafe Member
Brian Hochstrat ..... Yea, I used to make the trophy buckles for their rodeo before they went amateur. It would have been something for you to have won a buckle I made and engraved!!! And thanks for the compliment!

Peter E ..... Thank you for the compliment. It is very much appreciated!

ChrisB ..... Thank you for the compliment. I am always willing to work something out!

Mike Cerelli ..... Thank you for the compliment. I am looking forward to being active in the forum!

Best regards to all,
Greg Pauline