WHAT was I thinking?????

Cody

Elite Cafe Member
Awile back, a friend asked if I would engrave the patch box from his Shiloh Sharps. Like an idjit, I said OK. So, he sends this thing to me and it's a beautiful piece of work. Fit and finish is outstanding and the case colours (yes it's case hardened:( ) are wonderful. Well, it never occured to me that it would CCH, so i called him to discuss this. he said it doesn't need to be rehardened and he doesn't care about the colours and that a french grey or blued will be fine. While I'm tempted to just send it back with a thanks but no thanks, perhaps I should at least investigate it a bit. I had talked to Ken Hurst about this and he suggested an outfit that could anneal it but I have forgotten the name (Gillette rings a bell). Thoughts??

Cody

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Cody the guy John told you about was probably John Julette at Classic Guns. I have never used him but Ken told me that the guy does a real good job.

As far as do it or don't do it. Well I generally have three things I consider in such a decision.
1. Is my messing with the original finish going to drastically reduce the monetary value of the piece.
2. Make sure the customer knows what he is asking for and he understands all the implications involed.
3. Can I sleep at night ...... or am I going to stay up all night wishing I had not done it.

Beyond that I'm afraid I can't be much help.

Ray

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Cody, since the part has been fitted to the wood, any shift will mean extra work to get it back into the wood correctly. This "movement" is usually expected when parts are CCH but I assume any stress in the part could relax causing a shift when it is annealed. Just something else to think about. S

LRB

Cody, contact Robert Brown at Shiloh, and ask him what he thinks about it. Im sure it could be redone after you do yuor thing with it.

monk

Staff member
whatever the shape, heating to the degree required will more than likely cause a dimensional change. locked up stress, when it's allowed to escape thru heating usually means a complicated shaped part like that is going to change shape, even if only a little bit.

LRB

I don't think warpage would be a big problem. The part has already been through a lot of prolonged heat, it is mild steel, and relatively flat. The CH is relatively shallow. It is there for the colors, and not to prevent wear. I would not be too surprised if it could be cut as is, with a cobalt graver, but were it me, I would talk to the people that make it. Cody, you could try a little cutting on the underside, and see how it is.

TallGary

:::Pledge Member:::
Classic Guns

I can't comment on whether to do the job or not. I do know John Gillette at Classic Guns, Inc. Give him a call for his opinion on the hazards of annealing. They do outstanding color case hardening.
http://www.classicgunsinc.com/
Classic Guns Inc.
606 Gould Street
Beecher, IL 60401
(708) 946-6141

Ken Hurst

Elite Cafe Member
Cody ----- John Gillett is the man. I have dealt with him for years and in my opinion, he is the vest & fast and inexpensive compaired to Turnbull and others. Ken

Cody

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks guys. Sent an email to classic guns. We'll see what they say.

Cody

BTW, a test on the back shoiws that it cuts not TOO bad but softer would be better

Latest posts

Sponsors