Critique Request Where do I go from here on this?

Cloudy

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Suggestions for the background within the strap work would be helpful!

Attachments

• lion.jpg
    lion.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 184

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Cloudy,

You did some nice flare cuts to give the lion a look of relief. There is a lot of background around the lion's head (I'm not saying there is too much). I think too much to chisel it all away. So I would sugest you texture the background. I would either cut in parrallel lines with a liner, such as is found in the background of Germanic work or create a texture by wriggling a liner.

I have attached a picture of a sample plate that I did for a tutorial that shows the texture made by wriggling a liner. You can create various textures depending on the type of liner, how heavily and how closely you wriggle it. I would experiment on a test plate before you dig in to your lion motif.

Good luck,

Roger

Attachments

• Fig 14.jpg
    Fig 14.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 126

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Way you go Cloudy!!! I think you've found something here that you have a flair for and could develop nicely. Well done.

I, personally, would consider gradient stippling around the lions head. But remember this throws up a bur that will catch the muck and dirt. So stipple, then scrape back the bur, stipple, scrape and then do a final stipple. If you have the stippling fading as it moves away from the head and dark around it I think you'll have a nice effect.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Cloudy,
I think I would do a light relief and stipple within the strap work.
A small punch dot background would be easier, but not much if done well.
Punch dot would not look as rich as the relief/stipple IMO.
One thing I would do for sure is to first flatten the bacground within the lions mouth.
Then stipple some areas and leave a little shine on others to depict wetness.
You have done a killer job on the lion so far. Love it.
Best.

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

Hi Cloudy

You have the beginnings of what could be some very nice work there.

I have a suggestion for you regarding the hair/mane around the animals head. You have made deep and wide fare cuts and you can still see some heavy chatter marks in them which detract from what you have done.

To fix this is simple enough and won't take long..............

Take a 1/8th carbide bur of some sort and make a punch by gently rounding and frosting the bottom of it. Then lightly go around your cuts smoothing out the metal and reforming the centre ridge lines so they are flowing and smooth. Use a light hand till you get the feel of it or better still try it on a scrap bit of metal. If you are after the shiny look you could burnish the finish or you can leave it in the raw.

The results will make the job about 100 times better.

Cheers
Andrew

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
certainy a tantalizing engraving. added to the wriggling or stippling previously mentioned, i think i might have bright cut the top ear lines, and maybe a couple of the main facial line features. just a thought, by no means a criticism. really cool design !

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Cloudy,
Nice job! I think the first thing I would do would be to cut the border around the top deeper/wider to make it stand out more. Then I would decide what to do from there. I almost think that if the border stood out more I might just leave the background alone.
Rex