Why Do We Engrave

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well, I just found out why I REALLY like to engrave! I am a licensed electrician and have been for 37 years so I thought I would take a construction job last week (been retired for 4 years and out of construction for 15 years) to make enough money to get a microscope and a few other "necessary" items for my bench. I had forgotten that construction workers are not treated as real human beings. The job is retrofitting a brewery here in town, and if you like beer, you won't after working in one! After they finish a batch, the tank residue is flushed into a drainage system and it comes up through manholes placed strategically throughout the plant. Needless to say, it smells to high-heaven and, of course, foams up a lot, squirting out of the manholes. We were ankle deep in the biggest head of beer I have ever seen, and none of it fit to drink! Oh, to get back to why I engrave; my body will not take the heavy lifting, constant climbing on pipes and up and down ladders and scaffolds, and working seven days a week for ten hours a day. This old boy can't take it like I used to, so engraving has become much more fun and enjoyable. Believe me, work sucks. Engraving is mo betta!

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Bill, I know what you mean buddy, I did metal studs and dry wall, for 2 yrs and shoeing horses on the side, it sounds crazy to people who have never worked construction but shoeing an ill mannered horse is way easier than pulling wire or hanging rock. So I quit the construction and went to shoeing, thankfully these days, with my saddlery and engraving I don't have to shoe that many. Semi-retired at age 32.:D Brian

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Scott P, my fiend.
I've been at this, on and off, for 60 years, as you know.
And I have never done a piece that completely satisfied me.
I learn something every day and that's what keeps me at it.
Engraving is a constant challenge to both our hand, mind and our creativity.
And I know you feel much the same.
Take care, stay well. John.

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I worked 25 years for a living and decided that it just took up too much time.

With engraving, I'm able to pursue my artistic passions and make more money than I did at my old career.

I'm currently working on my second million----only because the first million was too hard to get.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Big-Un,
If you think being treated in a less than desireable fashion in construction is bad, while it is not in a physical way, being an IT professional in the corporate world these days is just plain miserable. As an IT Professional for 30 years, my job was eliminated due to outsourcing and I am ready to attempt the next phase in life.

As to engraving, I have always loved and been fascinated by engraving on guns and through my hobby of knife collecting, I was exposed to engraving on knives and GRS. I had always enjoyed crafting various things from wood, antler, leather and semi-precious stones but never had an opportunity to try engraving.
Saw an ad in Blade and went to a basic class and found I had a passion for it.

I still haven't achieved the level to generate income, but hopefully that will happen eventually.

I certainly am grateful for this forum and the wealth of knowledge shared here and other forums.

Peter

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian and Peter, it sounds like the only way to get respect for your talents is to be on your own, but then there are customers to deal with! It seems like the very times I get started on something, other issues come up. Right now all my engraving is put on hold as I deal with my mother's cancer returning and literally sapping her life away. We are a tight family and this is getting the best of me right now, but I know God is in control and will be with us through this as He calls her home. I'll be out of touch with the forum for a while but will try and check in occassionally. I would appreciate your prayers as we deal with her illness. You all keep the inspiration going and the standards high as we all need to push the envelope on design and technique. Thanks to all who participate on this forum.

Tim Adlam

For me, the engraving challenge was a gauntlet thrown to the floor by my art-metals teacher back in college days.
Michael Brandt taught me well...and opened the doorway to my present vocation.
Richard "OZ" Osborn was my advisor/mentor, and friend during that time.
OZ taught me how to draw, but most important to me was the lesson in "Taking what you've learned and applying it to your everyday life".
I am so indebted to these two...and many others.

Today, with that roadmap in hand...I'm where I pictured myself to be...but there's still a long track ahead.
I make a good living, and I'm in charge of my direction in life doing what I truly love.
To honor my mentors...is to pass their teachings along with mine.
That's my commitment...that's why I engrave.

Tim

Last edited: