winchester mod 94

Frank P

Elite Cafe Member
hi fellows, just a small question.. we received a new winchester model 94 AE in the shop for engraving, but the barrel (round , not octagonal) doesn t seem to come off the system block ( although there s wire on the barrel..) tried heating, big force but nothing moves..:( sounds familiar to someone out there?? what is best to do??
thanks in advance Frank

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't understand the "wire on the barrel" thing but the barrels just unscrew. I've done a couple and they weren't all that tight but you did need a decent barrel wrench or barrel vise depending on which way you want to attack it. Remember to remove the breech bolt or you'll break the extractor when you unscrew it.

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Frank,
I split a new model 70 winchester action length ways removing the barrel. Very bad experience!:mad:
Winchester replaced the entire rifle at no cost. They would not tell me why the action broke. I tell you this story only as a word of caution. Perhaps a call to Winchesters offices in Morgan, Utah and talking to a fellow named Glenn Jensen could save you some pain. Good Luck!

rhenrichs

Elite Cafe Member
94 Ae

Pulled the barrel on a 94 AE not long ago. Striped gun completely of all parts down to bare receiver and barrel. After it was clamped in a barrel vise it did take a small amount of persuassion to break it loose but after that it came right out. Had a far worse time getting the barrel out of a Uberti replica Henry.

Roger

Last edited:

Frank P

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Rex 'thread' instead of wire better? sorry for my english:(
Thanks glenn and Roger, will give it another try tomorrow
Have a nice day!!

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Frank,
Actually it is pretty good English and I understand now.
What has always worked for me it to give the action/barrel a good "rap" instead of just using pressure to remove it. I use a lead hammer on the end of my action wrench and give it a good smack. This will usually break it loose much easier than trying to use brute force. Much the way an impact wrench works.

en2siastic

Hello Frank,
I've engraved this Winchester a few years ago. I did not remove the barrel, I just walked around it. It was a good way to have physical exercise when engraving.
Good luck with your rifle.
Francis.

Attachments

• IMG_1166_WEB.jpg
    IMG_1166_WEB.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_1151_WEB.jpg
    IMG_1151_WEB.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 139

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for showing your 94. It is great. I've been studying it and it draws me to it like a moth to a flame. I sure would like to see some more of your work. Thanks again.:)

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i've found the perfect solution for this and all other "takedowns" needing to be done-- my friendly local gunsmith does it all, and i've never heard the slightest profanity roll over his lips. sometimes it just makes good sense to hire a plumber !