Wire drawing: how do you .....

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
Hi, everyone.

Here is my question:

How do you taper a wire for drawing through a drawplate? As I go smaller and smaller with my wire, I find it increasingly difficult to get the wire small enough to get through the successive holes. I am using wires about .25 mm and I know I will want to be going smaller, but I find tapering the end is a chore.

What you see in the image is a piece of barrel steel, with .25 mm wires inlaid.

Presently I try to roll the tip of the wire between two steel plates. Or cut a groove in a steel plate and burnish the wire into it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Tom

Attachments

• DSC_6259.JPG
    DSC_6259.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 167

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Tom, I like rolling the wire between plates as this also work hardens the end of the gold a bit and makes it easier to pull without parting. However as the wire gets a bit longer that gets difficult to do. I usually use a flat needle file and file lengthwise with the wire laying on my finger and rotating as I go. Hold it over your scrape box to catch filings, small as they are. TOS

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks, Sam. I'll give that a try.

How about placing the wire in a drinking straw while rolling the end, just to keep it from flopping around?

qndrgnsdd

Elite Cafe Member
Tom, I draw wire several times a month of all sizes down to 32 guage which is .008. I use a maple bench pin with a shallow groove cut in it and a file. Rub the file toward the point you are making, kinda sideways, like drawfiling but at about a 45 degree angle instead of a 90. As the wire gets finer I use a finer file so I don't take off so much metal. As you file turn the wire and you end up with a nice 3/4 inch taper...Owen

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Wire drawing

Hi Tom,
If it's 24k wire, rolling it between to pieces of tool steel works quite well. To prevent it from cork screwing
to much. Limit the rolling action to one and half revolutions.

If you prefer the file method, remember you only have to trim half the wire to get the taper.

I have a wire drawing horse that has a wire spool attachment that allows me to evenly pull wire.
When you really get down there under a quarter of millimetre have a steady hand helps.
Having a power wire spool makes it a whole lot easier.

If you want to see the spool go to. http://www.goldsmithing.com/showthread.php?t=310

There are some other tips you may find useful.

Talk to ya later,
Jim

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I put the wire in a pin vise and taper it on my power hone. Seems to work for me. You need to remember to make a long taper if you are going to draw the wire several times.

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Also, the smaller the wire gets, the more you need to anneal it. That is all but the end you are gripping with the pliers. and if you bees wax it it will pull a little better without breaking.

Latest posts

Sponsors