$00.11 worth of fun

gail.m

Elite Cafe Member
My first attempt with coins. The penny was a surprise, as I wasn't expecting it to be as soft as it was! I then tried the nickles. It was lots of fun....Mr. Jefferson will never look the same to me again!
Whatever techniques I used were learned through the generosity of the great professional talent that contribute to this forum on a daily basis. I thank you all for making my venture into the world of engraving so much fun.
Gail

Attachments

• hobo 1 (Small).JPG
    hobo 1 (Small).JPG
    59 KB · Views: 277

gail.m

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Dave

:) for the compliment. I welcome constructive criticism and advice as well. Engraving is new for me, although I have been known to use a push graver once in a while to accent jewelry pieces I have made.
I have been in the horse business most of my adult life and have made jewelry as a hobby for many years. I have finally found myself at a place in life to be able to afford the equipment and some schooling to learn more about engraving. It is something I have always wanted to learn and do.
I love this forum, and enjoy the fact that seasoned pros contribute so freely here. Thanks Sam for a wonderful job!
If I offended anyone in a prior post to a thread that has since been closed, please accept my humble apology.
Gail

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
Gail, a hundred fold better then my first try at carving a coin...have you tried carving a person on one yet.

gail.m

Elite Cafe Member
Billzach,
I plan to do a face the next time I give it a try. I have one in mind I would like to do!
Gail

coincutter

Elite Cafe Member
Great work Gail.

The country and western themes do quite well in the coin world. It won't be long before you will be making some collectors very happy if you decide to market your works.

As you get more enthusiastic with this genra try working a little copper silver or gold inlay into your coins. It won't be easy but it will really dress them up and get peoples attention.

As you begin to experiment with different coinage you will find that the majority of the older more valuable coins are harder to work as the metal is not only age hardened but use hardened. Just banging around in someones pockets changes the way the metal responds.

Plan on making many small tools as the more detail you can achieve the more receptive people will be towards your work. Ie: next time you cut the horse do the bit in gold.

It took me a while to perfect my inlay techniques. Now I inlay the pupils of the eye's in 24k and other little details which add a little zing to the design work.

Well, so much for the rambling. Your work is great, keep it up. If you ever want to yammer about carving just let me know.

SLE