120 chips MUCH SHARPER than 90s

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Anybody else ever notice this phenomenon? I used 90deg square gravers almost exclusively for about 35 yrs, and during that time I might have stuck a chip in my finger a couple times a year. It virtually never happened. I used to walk around my workshop barefoot in the warmer months without a problem. However, about 4-5 yrs ago I made the transition to a 120 and if I'm engraving a lot, it's rare to go one day without having to pull a chip out of myself somewhere!!! Silver, steel, whatever- it doesn't matter. The difference is so stark, it cannot possibly be just a case of heightened perception. I finally remembered to post this when I lanced my left index finger a few minutes ago- a phlebotomist could have gotten all they need for any tests...

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
so Mitch, did you go back to the 90?
No, I've come to really prefer the 120, but even being extra careful I'm getting kinda tired of being impaled. The left index finger I mentioned in my first post happened just by turning my vise and there was a chip hanging on the side.

As far as I can figure, the 90 made a pointier, but more square chip, while the 120 makes like a tiny little knife blade point, thinner & sharper. Like the difference between a nail and a stiletto.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I finally stopped brushing the chips away with the side of my hand...

and just so we're clear, this is not happening while brushing away chips, or accidentally trying to flick away a chip that's still attached, i'm getting stabbed by metal slivers that are just lying around loose on the surface of the work, on the surrounding vise jaws & base, etc. the sharp little #$%@ers find my fingers no matter what!

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Mitch....I've found when I started on my hike, I tried finger cotes. They work for me especially to slide across the tops and remove daggers. I have been trying to find silicone large cotes, their performance is outstanding compared to leather and am still looking. Rob

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
and just so we're clear, this is not happening while brushing away chips, or accidentally trying to flick away a chip that's still attached, i'm getting stabbed by metal slivers that are just lying around loose on the surface of the work, on the surrounding vise jaws & base, etc. the sharp little #$%@ers find my fingers no matter what!
it must be your magnetic :happyvise:

dms

If you are chipping steel try a refrigerator magnet to dust over and around the area. They are not very strong to magnetize everything around but the little chips seem to like them. Also, my son told me on the gun range a strong magnet will pick up shotgun shells. The only thing I can figure is primer size as compared to rifle and pistol brass and their primer size.

monk

Staff member
i use oxyacetylene torches, pllasma torches, stick/mig welding, and toss in a bit of blacksmithing. the injuries i get from engraving pale in comparison to the above mentioned pursuits.
sorry, i did forget the stabs in my left hand while learning to push. nasty !

monk

Staff member
Mitch....I've found when I started on my hike, I tried finger cotes. They work for me especially to slide across the tops and remove daggers. I have been trying to find silicone large cotes, their performance is outstanding compared to leather and am still looking. Rob
i have not tried them 4 engraving, but hf has nitrile gloves that are somewhat sensitive to touch, and are fairly resistant to tearing. not sure i would want to wear them 4 a session at the bench. they make my hands sweat. ymmv

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
i think i'll stay with the leather, they have a backing piece that advances to the knuckle,just have to use a rubber band when wore out

dms

Instead of a light ring you could build a vacuum ring and suck them little buggers into a shop vac. compressor noise, shop vac noise, you put on the headphones with good music and chip away....

Latest posts

Sponsors