1874 w bear

joe seeley

Hi, all
I have finally decided to come back from a 15 yeer break. I was tought engraving by Neil Hartliep in 86
I spent several years practicing and then got sidetracked and didnt do much until just recently. I am now working on brushing the cobbwebs and getting back in practice (I have found that stepping away from the bench for that long hasn't done me any good) I think it might take me a bit to get good at this, but I'm a paitient person. yor coments and pointers are welcome, anything to help me along the way

Attachments

• DSC01193.JPG
    DSC01193.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 182

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Well Joe,
I like the looks of your engraving. Could you do a close up of the bear, I'd like to see more detail.
Jim

Andrew Biggs

Hi Joe.
Looking good. A 15 year break. That's a long time...............good to see you back at it.

Neil Hartliep's book on "basic firearms engraving" is still one of the best how to books around about engraving in my opinion.

Cheers
Andrew

Markofx

Returning to Engraving

Hi Joe,
Welcome home! I've been in the same position. I brought all the equiptment from an engraver named Bob Mackie back in the early nineties. He came to my house and gave me one on one instruction for a week.
Well, being a jeweler and a stone cutter I always thought I'd add engraving to to my work to really make it pop. I found out that my bench looked as if I was a master, but without practice my best intentions fell by the wayside. I'm working every day now on my engraving because I love it for the art, and sometimes you have to take care of the things you know will generate an income.
I see you haven't lost much in the design and cutting areas, all that's needed is that practice part. I learned with hammmer and chisel, but now with these power assisted tools, I see people doing incredible work in a few short years.
I guess the only thing that slows us down is having a purpose and the desire to stick with it. It can get so frustrating trying to play catch up!!
Now go cut something, and have a great new year!

Mark

Latest posts

Sponsors