Critique Request 1st side of my little engraving done.

Jim Sackett

Elite Cafe Member
This is my 2nd try on this still not perfect but as good as I can do.
The sterling tag measures 13 x 8/16 the lower case letters are 1 1/2mm. This is the hardest engraving job I have ever done. The name on the other side will a little larger on two lines.

Any suggestions are welcome.

:beat up: Jim Sackett

NaberAddFinished.jpeg

NaberAddFinished5.jpeg

NaberAddFinished6.jpeg

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The only suggestion I can make is one I've learned from doing nickels - it might help to make some really tiny gravers.

It's not that you can't cut that fine of a line with as big a graver as you can handle, it's that there less there is other than the bit actually cutting, the less there is to run up against something else.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
kc is right on the money there. get yourself some of the 3/32" square brass tubing as per jbs' tip on making your own less expensive gravers. these tubes have an inside bore of .o62". solder some junk (.o62" anti crush wire or something in the rear), and in the front, solder some dental drills. the square brass will enable you to grind flats from almost nothing , up to .062" in width. a very low cost way to make micro flats. this technique can also be used to create micro 90, 116, 120, whatever. even rounds.
if you need the brass, try www. micromark.com i made a micro flat that was .2 mm in width. created this from a dental drill.