3d printing a little workbench organization

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Like you, I make and use wood blocks.
I fit many of them into 3"x 5" card file boxes.
But I am unfamiliar with the green block in the background of your photograph.
Am I correct to assume it is something available from machine shop suppliers?
What is it called and who makes it. please?

rweigel

Elite Cafe Member
France (north of Alsace, close to Germany)
Dear John,

I believe it is dental laboratory equipment. I bought it about 20 years ago here:

https://www.goldschmiedebedarf.de/product_info.php?products_id=11944

Still available, mine had a transparent plastic lid as well, normal length dental burrs do not fit under it, just the „RA“ stile. Nowadays it‘s sold without lid.

You‘ll have trouble ordering just this in Germany, like I have trouble ordering special flux, tools or cutting fluids from the US. I browsed Otto Frei, and found something pretty similiar:

https://www.ottofrei.com/Blue-Plastic-Bur-Stand-For-3-32-Shank-Burs-5-X-3?quantity=1

It is flat, not stepped, but that should not make a big difference. Perhaps the link is helpful.

Best regards,

Ralf

rweigel

Elite Cafe Member
When you liked the flat wooden graver stand, you might like this as well: image.jpg
It was a foot of some old furniture, could now rotate around it‘s magnetic foot and stores most of my flexible shaft tools. Saw something similiar in a Karlsruhe goldsmith shop, recognised it‘s potential and made one for myself. I asked the owner if she would like me to make a commercial product out of it, but she declined.

calebkraft

wood blocks seem like the smartest way to go. Unfortunately my drill press died and I haven't come up with a good reason to replace it yet.

rweigel

Elite Cafe Member
I‘m completely in favor of 3D printing. We used to have a 3D scan and print shop in the Karlsruhe city center, but they relocated and I would have to send files and recieve the printed parts much later by mail. I use CAD software a lot and did designs for complex 3D printed parts already, including little springs printed from PMMA (photo polymerising resin).

tinkerSue

<<<<no 3D for me. I made this one out of an unsurprisingly :rolleyes: unused cat scratcher. Super easy to change the hole sizes here and there. I can’t take the credit and unfortunately, I don’t recall where I viewed the original diy. F406DB17-4943-4D7A-8CFC-73E39F304E00.jpeg

New Member since 2015.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
cool technology. please to remember, " a tidy workbench is a sure sign of a troubled childhood" !! the cat thingy is the coolest ever for a neub on a budget.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors