57 dollar engraving vise for noobs or the money..

DanM

Elite Cafe Member
I have used a pitch bowl with an inexpensive ($3) lazy susan from the hardware store. It can be screw mounted to whatever you wish,or use a piece of non-slip pad for moveabilty.

Karl Carvalho

Aloha Peter,

If you go steel, there are cast steel caps, with a convex face, in all diameters. May be used as is in a lazy susan (thanks, Dan), lawnmower tire or duct tape roll, or you could cut a slot in the bottom and tack in a strip for block mounting. They are solid, heavy (I've seen them up to 8"), smooth and are internally threaded to hold the pitch securely. The added mass helps to hold heat at a stable temp for those in cold climates (we don't have that problem here :D ). Cheap too.

Karl

PS_Bond

Elite Cafe Member
Oh for crying out loud... Clearly I've lost the ability to think. This would be the same cast iron caps (usually 3") that I use for doing quick & dirty melts of brass when I don't want to filth up an expensive crucible. Think I've got a couple of clean ones handy still.

Cheers Karl - I'm going to console myself with the thought that you probably get more rainfall than we do (maybe not this year however!) - although ours doesn't usually burn off in the morning sun quite as nicely. :D Mahalo nui loa.

Tomyboy

I merely mentioned it because it was cheap ( a few bucks) and it would move smoothly. But, like you say that part may not be available where a given person lives but you could probably get duct tape ("Alabama Chrome":D ) anywhere. You're a regular McGuyver.

Tim, i meant this to everyone who's got the "gear" and can properly give the correct advise, sorry if i seemed short bro. I loved McGuyver and actually bought this... lol.
http://neatorama.cachefly.net/images/2007-01/mcgyver-paperclip.jpg

Thanks to everyone for the great comments... im used to immensely less mature comments on internet forums and am refreshed to have people with intelligence respond to a post.

As to the lazy susan and the pitch bowl, great idea. And ihsfab i just got the chuck, had a key... bonus

i couldnt find a pic of a peg vice what is it? id go look at the shops in town but cant afford the time.

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Peg vice

Hi Tomy,
This is how we get them form a jeweller's supply. ($27.00).

This is what they look like separated form the handle.

In my shop, the handle is modified to fit a bench mate system for setting diamonds.

You can put the head in your chuck the same way I do in the ball vice.
I use this method to hold small stuff for setting or engraving.

I hope this helps you and everyone else on the forum.

Jim

ps, you can use 1/8 brazing rod for the pegs.

Last edited:

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Steve,
It goes a long way. You can make special jigs to hold thing out of brass and put pegs in just the right
place. On some jobs, holding the part mechanically is better than putting into cement or shellac.
There is also less clean up. It's a good time saver.

Jim

Last edited:

Unkl Ian

How big are the bearings on the VCR heads ?

I've seen lots of them at Goodwill,and Salvation Army.
Don't remember the prices,but they occasionally have 50% of days to clear out stuff.
New ones are so cheap,I can't see them being over $10.

Occasionally see 10 pin bowling balls there as well,for $5-$10.
Black ones seem to be rarest,and most expensive.