6AL4V Titanium.

Titian

Elite Cafe Member
Hi guys.
Let me know, Have anybody ever engraved on Ti6al4v ?
And what's a problem about that ?

Please tell me. Thank you. :)

tsterling

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Panja,

I found 6Al4V quite tough. I engraved it with my Lindsay Nitro G20, so with enough power it can be engraved, but it was a bit of a struggle. My Lindsay Classic would only engrave 6Al4V to half the depth of the Nitro in one pass. If you can get CP titanium or Grade 2 titanium, it is much easier to engrave.

Tom

Titian

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Panja,

I found 6Al4V quite tough. I engraved it with my Lindsay Nitro G20, so with enough power it can be engraved, but it was a bit of a struggle. My Lindsay Classic would only engrave 6Al4V to half the depth of the Nitro in one pass. If you can get CP titanium or Grade 2 titanium, it is much easier to engrave.

Tom

Thank you very much bro. ^_^

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnaud

Interesting that you say the harder Grade 5 cuts better than the Grade 2. How would you describe the difference in feel in cutting the two grades? Given your demonstrated prowess in engraving Ti I'm absolutely certain you're correct, but I'm still curious.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
6al4v or grade 5

This was the last folder I engraved. I can't post pictures yet. It was a real test. Gravers chipped out every few cuts. Dubbed the tips, still chipped, background removal was slow.

That said, finished result was awesome. I got much more even backgrounding than usual because of the hardness of the metal and the level of care I put into getting it just perfect. I'll post a thread with pictures of it in a week or so.

All said and done I'd do it again, but I'd be telling the customer (as I did in this case) it's going to cost because of the increased amount of time it takes to carve something into this compared to the same design in aluminium or something... takes 3-4 times longer at a guess... sharpening, sharpening, sharpening, and slow cutting.

It had a glass bead stippled finish too... so no covering mistakes, i only had one bad slip which I couldn't cover though which became a reallllly off shading line. Bet it will be the first thing you see in the photo :)

Latest posts

Sponsors