A couple of Spydies

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Excellent job Marcus. Nice to see you put down the nickels for a few minutes:) Well explained, If I have to set a $10,000 diamond I don't need to set it in a $10,000 ring, but some may want a comparably priced ring. Usually I just need something that appeals to the customer and complements and displays the stone. I think Marcus's engraving speaks for itself and the Spiderco is nice easel to display it on.
The Spiderco's seem to have a very nice workable area, good steel, very imaginable shapes. For someone just starting out their low end brand Byrd is a great value. They give you a huge area to practice and work on. Just my thoughts
Mike

Last edited:

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Marcus, please dont misunderstand my question. Its just seems to me if I could afford your work I would certainly consider the best possible knife I could afford for the engraving. That's all I meant.
As for S&W's , I own & shoot several, imho they are / have the finest lock work available on a production pistol plus they are great looking pistols and they take all the abuse you can hand out and still perform. The old Henry's , Winchesters , S&W's , Colts are all classics at least for me, engraving would be the frosting on the cake.
happy New Year,
Kent

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Glenn

You're in the right ball park for the engraving on the Delica, the whole thing including the knife was about that. Here's the thing (and I know sometimes its hard to understand), I think my clients just liked my work and wanted something special for themselves. I really don't think they even thought about 'investment'. Sometimes it's nice to have something one likes just for the heck of it. I sometimes engrave Spanish actioned shotguns and there is no way on this planet that these guns will ever reach the investment potential of a Purdey or H&H but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be embellished with something other than bog standard factory engraving. But it doesn't matter what I engrave, (apart from the nickels which I do for the love of) I try and earn the same amount. I won't drop my prices because it happens to be a cheaper item I'm engraving. Some people wan't silver inlay as opposed to gold and are under the impression this will be a lot cheaper, but it takes the same amount of time to inlay silver as it does gold so the final cost is negligable as most of the value is in the labour.

Kent, I wasn't knocking S&W, I was just trying to draw a parallel. You got it in one; to me Spyderco's are one of the best 'production' knives you can get for the money, just as S&W are in the handgun world.

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Marcus,
Thank you for your reply to my questions. You answered all my questions completely. My impressions are (having never met you): You are an incredible gentleman and artist. I think we members are fortunate to have you participate on this forum. Please post more of your work when time permits.