A NICKEL FOR YOUR THOUGHTS...

DeChristo

It is a single coin but I did add some scrap nickel overlay in a couple spots to add depth...plus popped a little brass in the eyes with a beading tool.

Jonathan.Silas

Elite Cafe Member
It is a single coin but I did add some scrap nickel overlay in a couple spots to add depth...plus popped a little brass in the eyes with a beading tool.
Well you did great work, I'm a sucker for myths as well, so doubly pleased. How many hours would you say you have in all the sculpting?

Daniel29

That looks great, a lot of well executed work!

It looks almost deeper than a coin could be. Could you please tell how deep the engraving actually is? More than 1mm?

DeChristo

Yes, more than 1mm...on the reverse of a buffalo nickel, the buffalo protrudes well above the field surface, so you can cut deeper from the front side in those areas, just have to be careful not to dig too deep into areas from the front opposite the lower field areas on the reverse, if that makes sense. It is also possible to push the metal, on the Indian face front, rather than just cut it away, providing more metal to shape. It doesn’t take much at this scale to create depth with raised surfaces. I also added scrap metal overlay from another nickel to raise low areas...the inner face of the Minotaur from forehead, cheeks, and chin; the tip of the club; right leg and hoof; and the rock that hoof rests upon, are all added metal. Inside of the cave is finely stippled with dark toning added to create a sense of depth as well.

Last edited:

Sponsors