Critique Request A rough design for a lion pendant

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
will look much better when cut in metal. you sure this is called a "lion" and not a chimera or some such ?

Goldjockey

Elite Cafe Member
Add a probe going into his nose, and he does currently look a bit like he's getting a Covid swab at the doctor's office.

I'd angle the head a bit forward for a more aggressive posture, give a bit more aggressive aspect to the eyes (which currently look a little surprised) and add just a bit more Mane.

Overall I like the drawing very much!

Here are a few reference images, from Materiaux et Documents d'Architecture et de Sculpture, A. Raguenet, circa 1880.

View attachment 48756
wow Thanks! Im going to try and incorporate the mane in plate A and B in my design. Ill admit I’m a bit intimidated about Cutting a mane like that. I’ve never done anything like that before but I’m open to try. does anybody have any tips on cutting or sculpting this sort of thing?

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
wow Thanks! Im going to try and incorporate the mane in plate A and B in my design. Ill admit I’m a bit intimidated about Cutting a mane like that. I’ve never done anything like that before but I’m open to try. does anybody have any tips on cutting or sculpting this sort of thing?
Currently yours is a lioness. Add a mane and you change the gender. Decide which you want to portray first...

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
look carefully at what you do with the angle of the eye, shape of the iris and the eye socket. That is critical for getting the "lion" effect.

oniemarc

Elite Cafe Member
Here is a little side by side to what I think everyone is talking about. Obviously not a masterpiece on my part, but I hope you can see the differences. With a male lion, the manes are huge and start on top of the head aswell as from the chinline. When you keep the top of the head "bald"...it would be a female. Just adding alot of shading lines in the face and manes, makes itt look more like a cross between a wolf and a lioness. The eyesockets are more of a triangle shape and from the side, the pupils would never be round.
Like I said, by no means is my version perfect or ready for cutting...I fully realise that. Just trying to show you where this could go if you look closely at what's said above and the art provided.
Hope it helps

Marc
Untitled 43.png

Here is a little side by side to what I think everyone is talking about. Obviously not a masterpiece on my part, but I hope you can see the differences. With a male lion, the manes are huge and start on top of the head aswell as from the chinline. When you keep the top of the head "bald"...it would be a female. Just adding alot of shading lines in the face and manes, makes itt look more like a cross between a wolf and a lioness. The eyesockets are more of a triangle shape and from the side, the pupils would never be round.
Like I said, by no means is my version perfect or ready for cutting...I fully realise that. Just trying to show you where this could go if you look closely at what's said above and the art provided.
Hope it helps

Marc
View attachment 48782
Thanks marc. this will definitely help. drawing flowing hair has always been a sticking point for me. I’ll keep everybody updated on how it’s progressing

Latest posts

Sponsors