A short intoduction

Daniel Houwer

Elite Cafe Member
Hello, My name is Daniel.
I just discovered your Forum last night right after I decided to go to bed within 10 minutes.
Three hours later I got around to do just that.
What a great Forum!!! Realy glad to see that such a lot of professionals share their tips and trics so freely. Just what I and a few other goldsmiths try to do at http://www.zilvermaan.com/forum/index.php But that might be a litle to Dutch for you.

As a Goldsmith and Diamondsetter I've handeled the engraving tools for a good decade. Though mainly just for beadsetting and not the figurative way.
And without microscoop and with handpower only.
The only slightly figurative engravings are on some of my rings.
(First picture is a titanium ring wit about 45 0.008ct diamonds)
Because my drawingskills are pretty poor and underdeveloped I never thougt about figurative engraving. Until I got a book by James B. Meek.
I took the time to engrave some tools of mine (handpower only) and the cock of a litle nozzle loading derrenger percussion gun. Just for fun.
In the near future I wil have acces to a gravermax and Microscoop when I welcome my new college Joris Bloemers who (not surprisingly) is active on this Forum.
Hopefully my engraving skills (and maybe (probably) even my settingskills) will be in the lift.

I Will learn a lot from this Forum and hope to be of some use as well.
Greetings from Holland!

Daniel

Attachments

• DSCN0021-1.jpg
    DSCN0021-1.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 91
  • test28.jpg
    test28.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCN0115-2.jpg
    DSCN0115-2.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hello Daniel, and welcome to the Cafe. We're glad you found us. There are a lot of very talented engravers here who are willing to help you along the way. Feel free to ask questions and to continue to post photos of your work.

Joris Bloemers is fine fellow, and I hope you get to spend some time with him.

Regards / ~Sam

Daniel Houwer

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the Welcom Sam and Andrew,

When Joris comes to work at the company I work at and the gravemax and microscope have arived I'll probably spend an extra day at work just to see and learn how to work these machines. At the second Bell Aurom Fair in Belgium I saw Nicolay Sidorov perform settings with these machines and since wanted to work with them. Alas, at work, no place or time and in my own workshop not the funds or the work (mainly repairs, restaurations and newwork). Prices where high back then.
Since I red Mr Meeks book there was this itch, enhanced by meeting Joris and seeing his work and now this forum. Hoping to find the time I'll digg deaper into engraving soon.

My engraving will not stunn any of you, but maybe get some other beginners to show their work to. Hereby the derrenger cock I engraved.
Hmm the side picture is 2kb to large:mad:

Attachments

• DSCN0212.jpg
    DSCN0212.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 80

Latest posts

Sponsors