a study of bulino

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
John Andrew I am glad you enjoyed the pics for study. Yes John I will be in Reno at the Safari Show in the booth of Montana Watch Co. WE are Debuting a series of watches with bulino images taken from paintings of the artist John Banovich, I can post some pics if you would like. I will make my way over to the FEGA show from time to time to visit with people and will be there all day Sunday I look forward to visiting with everyone. I have posted more pics with close ups for you to study. I Hope you enjoy them and I hope that they will make people understand what I mean about the detail necessary to do high quaility bulino work. As I always say every feather every hair every blade of grass. Thanks Chris

Attachments

• gun 112.jpg
    gun 112.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 286
  • gun 124.jpg
    gun 124.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 324
  • Picture 968.jpg
    Picture 968.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 263
  • gun 001-2.jpg
    gun 001-2.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 259
  • Picture 1054.jpg
    Picture 1054.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 244
  • Picture 1055.jpg
    Picture 1055.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 286

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chris - great pictures. The detail helps with understanding how you do the cuts, texture, etc. I have a question for you. Do you generally do the entire background and then go back to do the animals? It seems in your pictures that is what you do. Is there a reason for this as opposed to doing the animals first, or is it personal preference? Thanks.

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Since I could only post six pics here are the rest . If yoiu notice that on the pic bald eagle that is not finished the left side of the face compare it to the finished pic and notice that that area without engraving looks flat this is what I mean about the differnce in drawing on paper and engraving on metal it needs to be filled up even if the lines hardly show Chris

Attachments

• DSCN9651.jpg
    DSCN9651.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 254
  • gun 134.jpg
    gun 134.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 254
  • DSCN9650.jpg
    DSCN9650.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 218
  • DSCN9652.jpg
    DSCN9652.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 236

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Tira its a little of both. For me I want to make sure that the animals are the main focus , so if I do the background first then I know how dark to make the animals or I can mute the background with additional sanding or burnishing. By the way all these have been sanded when finished to make sure there are no burs. If you cut cleanly though the sanding will be minimal. You can do the engraving in any order you choose though there is no rule . Chris

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think the bit that most clearly shows what you're talking about is the neck of the pheasant in the second picture - individually those lines are so fine they must be hard to see under the scope!

Just jaw-dropping beauty.

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Chris Great study, I feel so fortunate to be in your class at GRS and hold and study a gun you were engraving, that was a turning point in my life, also the knife show in Orlando...
Jerry

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Chris, you're a hero. It's not often we get to see in-progress photos of bulino engraving. This is really valuable material, and the quality of your work just keeps getting better all the time. If you'd ever care to do a written bulino tutorial, I would like to host it on iGraver. ~Sam

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Chris.
Thanks for another picture seminar to study, there goes another few days!
The photographs of the work in unfinished form are great study models.
They show areas that point out clearly just how blank the the canvas can be and how you transform them, even the negative space.
I won't get over to Safari this year but will hope to see you when you visit the FEGA show.
Again, many thanks and best wishes.
John B.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Chris.

Fantastic study peices thank you. The detail is superb. It's quite amazing what the human eye picks up, no matter how small.

Good luck with the watches at the SCI show. They should gain a lot of interest and you're in the right place to debut them. Mary & I be there so we'll look you up. All that high end bling is not to be missed. Last year John B and I were exhausted putting in a full day at the show. It's funny who you bump into there as well. We have nothing like it in our part of the world.

Yes, definatley post pictures of the watches.

Cheers
Andrew

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chris your work is fabulous and to see it in progress is a real treat. The realism and depth is phenomenal. I purchased the FEGA tape a while back along with the cast, it was so worth it. The two together really helped me understand what was going on. Now to apply it is a feat in it's self. Also the Montana watches have a great look.

Last edited:

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chris,

The quality of your work, and the clarity of your pictures is a great asset to us, so thank for these postings!

Thank you also for your support in joining with the Creative Arts trio in their last GRS bulino week. I really appreciated it, and I now have your FEGA dvd in my library.

Hope to see ya in Reno!

best

Rod

maryw

TAYLORS, SC (BETWEEN GREENVILLE & SPARTANBURG
Chris - OH MY GOODNESS!! Oh how beautiful!! Thank you so much for sharing your work with us. It is invaluable to me. I just love it. Sure would love to have more information (tutorial) whenever you have the opportunity to do that.

Mary W

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chris,

Stellar work as always. You continue to raise the bar (Now it's up so high that I can't even see it!!).

Weldon

Sponsors