A60 Adjustments

pmace

Elite Cafe Member
I have a Leica A60 on a flex arm. My complaint is that when my graver is in the center of the field of view I am not looking directly down on it. In order to view the graver straight down I have to move it down into the bottom 1/4 of the field of view. This makes it uncomfortable since I’m always looking at the bottom of the image. It’s fine left-to-right but it’s out of whack top-to-bottom. This has nothing to do with centering the work on the center of rotation of the turntable. It’s some other adjustment. Is it something inside the microscope? Any ideas?

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I really don’t know the what the problem is that you’re having. I was having a similar problem a few years back. I had to get cataract surgery and that solved my problem. Maybe ask someone else if they are seeing the same view you are seeing through the scope.

pmace

Elite Cafe Member
I really don’t know the what the problem is that you’re having. I was having a similar problem a few years back. I had to get cataract surgery and that solved my problem. Maybe ask someone else if they are seeing the same view you are seeing through the scope.
The field of view through the scope is a circle. If I lay a graver flat on the work going left to right centered in that circle I should be looking straight down on the graver. That way I’m looking straight down on the cut as I make it. With my setup in order to look straight down on the graver I have to move it down into the bottom 1/4 of the circle. I never had this problem with my old Olympus.

rweigel

Elite Cafe Member
France (north of Alsace, close to Germany)
Paul, did you start using the A60 very recently? As far as I heard (I use Olympus, not Leica) the fusion optics might need some time to get used to, as the two pictures of different size and sharpness are overlaid in your brain’s image processing departement and reconstructed into the large sharp view that Leica advertises…

Cheers

Ralf

oniemarc

Elite Cafe Member
This might be an absolutely simple minded thought, but it sounds to me that the scope is set slightly too high. The stand that is. A slight difference in height could be off-setting the field of view, since you would looking into the scope at an angle.

Like I said, maybe it's as simple as that.

Marc

AllenClapp

Elite Cafe Member
Take a look at the angle on the scope itself; it may be cocked a little. I had a similar issue. I had cocked mine a little to get a good look at the side of a flat graver I used to follow a scribed line on one side to create channels for inlaying wire. I forgot to change it back to vertical after doing that. Later, I had to change my vise height to account for a different thickness and started having the same issue.

pmace

Elite Cafe Member
Paul, did you start using the A60 very recently? As far as I heard (I use Olympus, not Leica) the fusion optics might need some time to get used to, as the two pictures of different size and sharpness are overlaid in your brain’s image processing departement and reconstructed into the large sharp view that Leica advertises…

Cheers

Ralf
No, I’ve been using it for several months now. It’s just that the problem is making it difficult to do some straight lines on a border I’m doing right now.

pmace

Elite Cafe Member
This might be an absolutely simple minded thought, but it sounds to me that the scope is set slightly too high. The stand that is. A slight difference in height could be off-setting the field of view, since you would looking into the scope at an angle.

Like I said, maybe it's as simple as that.

Marc
When I look in the scope I see the whole circle of the field of view so I don’t think that’s it.

pmace

Elite Cafe Member
Take a look at the angle on the scope itself; it may be cocked a little. I had a similar issue. I had cocked mine a little to get a good look at the side of a flat graver I used to follow a scribed line on one side to create channels for inlaying wire. I forgot to change it back to vertical after doing that. Later, I had to change my vise height to account for a different thickness and started having the same issue.
Allen, I believe that may be it. They don’t give you any instructions on how to set the vertical axes of the head (front-to-back, side-to-side). I played with the front-to-back adjustment (what a machinist would call “nod” on a milling machine) and that has helped. When I originally set it up I didn’t even fool with that adjustment. I wonder if there is a “correct” way to do that alignment other than what looks good. Thank you!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i would get in touch with the vendor. they will likely have a solution.

Sponsors