Adobe Illustrator banner design

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
A work in progress. / ~Sam

Andrew Biggs

Hi Sam

Looks great.

How do you go about this sort of design? By that I mean, do you draw thumbnails with pen and paper first to get rough ideas? straight into the computer? do you use the mouse or a Wacom tablet etc etc.?

Also how do you find illustrator compared to Corel?

Cheers
Andrew

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
banner design

near perfect. would be perfect with my gorgeous mug shot in the middle. e-mail the pa state police, they have some very good photos of me on file !

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
btw , can we vote more than one time ? if so, i'll do it ! let us know.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
OK,
What am I missing here? I can't see anything on your post Sam.
All the other posts show the TNs or pics but this one doesn't show.

glendikes

Monk,
It takes a seperate e-mail address for each vote. I was able to hit three times with my collection of addresses.

Thanks for all your work with the photos!
Glen Dikes

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
How about a tutorial on the process of making such a design? It seems to me that more time would be spent fooling around with the program than drawing it the "old fashioned" way, but the design is so clean and crisp. I have purchased CorelDrawX3 and am having a heck of a time learning how to use it. A tutorial might give some of us novices some encouragement on using the new technology available.

Bill

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Thanks, guys.

Christiaan: No immediate plans...maybe on my website.

Andrew: I drew some of the leaves on paper, scanned them (photographed actually), and then traced them by hand in Illustrator. Some leaves I drew directly in the computer without scanning...some with the Wacom tablet and some using Illustrator's pen tool. As far as an Illustrator-to-Coreldraw comparison, I have to say that I've not done anything this complex in Coreldraw. I have done similar illustrations before, but used Photoshop. As you know, there are many advantages to doing graphics of this nature in Illustrator as opposed to Photoshop. They're vector and not bitmaps, so they can be scaled from extremely small to the size of a barn door without degradation. This makes them especially suited for printing, plus colors are relatively easy to modify.

Bottom line: I think Coreldraw has similar capabilities, and the only reason I'm not still using it is because I changed to Mac computers about 1.5 years ago, and there are no Mac versions of Corel products. I literally forced myself to learn Illustrator and am just now beginning to get comfortable with it, but there's still a LOT more I don't know than do.

Big-Un: When I get time I might do a tutorial, but I'm afraid of how time consuming it might be.

Cheers / ~Sam

Andrew Biggs

Hi Sam

I know what you're saying. Some of these programmes are bigger than Texas and can do all sorts of stuff that I'll never know about. A vector sign programme I still occasionally use, even though it's a real dinasour now, is called Graphix Advantage. It has the most simple node editing tools I've ever used. It's 100% bulletproof and so simple to use it's scary. I don't think you can buy it anymore as it's that old.

Cheers
Andrew

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam that looks great. If it's true vector you should be able to take it into something like Rhino and make it 3d. Once it's 3D you can tilt it a little or what ever to really give it some depth. I'm not that proficient at it so that's about as far as I can go with it. Maybe you should be also teaching computer graphics. Let me know when that DVD coming out:)

Sam,

I am new to the Forum and Engraving. Is there a collection of basic graphic scroll designs? either a shareware/freeware or pay for collection available.

Anything that would be available to start from would be fantastic. I have access to almost every program/format available, but search engines have a hard time understanding the specifics of engraving scrolls.

I have seen "MANY" great examples, but dont want to infringe on others work.

Thanks

Steve