Adobe photo shop and illustrator!

mongo40

I feel like such a dumbA$$ trying to use these two programs. I downloaded them and I've been watching YouTube how to videos and just cant figure out how to use them to help me. I've also got procreate on my iPad but would really like to use the adobe products to add scroll drawings and just to turn a color picture into black and white and make it look engraved so I could do it on metal. I feel like it takes a PhD to figure these two out. I've seen some videos of people using the programs for what I'm wanting but when I open mine up to follow along they don't look the same or have the same functions. Just venting my frustrations on here as I'm a school teacher setting in classroom and my 12yr old students wouldn't understand my rantings :) !!!
Chris Wilson

rweigel

Elite Cafe Member
France (north of Alsace, close to Germany)
Can’t help You with Photoshop and Illustrator, but with the „turn a color picture in black and white“ part: download Adobe Capture (free) onto your iPad, that could convert pictures to Vector Graphics (.svg) with adjustable thresholds and filters. It is really easy to use. I add an example…. It was a full-colour picture of a brass lamp, of which I extracted the contours. I guess the function might be called „shapes“ in English, it‘s „Formen“ in my German setup.

Cheers

Ralf

Attachments

• Lampe 1.pdf
    214.1 KB · Views: 35

rweigel

Elite Cafe Member
France (north of Alsace, close to Germany)
As an afterthought, do You try to use Photoshop and Illustrator at your iPad? There the menu and the look is much different from the PC and MAC version. That might explain why the YouTube tutorials do not help.

…fell into this trap myself some years ago…

Cheers

Ralf

mongo40

Can’t help You with Photoshop and Illustrator, but with the „turn a color picture in black and white“ part: download Adobe Capture (free) onto your iPad, that could convert pictures to Vector Graphics (.svg) with adjustable thresholds and filters. It is really easy to use. I add an example…. It was a full-colour picture of a brass lamp, of which I extracted the contours. I guess the function might be called „shapes“ in English, it‘s „Formen“ in my German setup.

Cheers

Ralf
Danke Ralf!

Ken Denning

I'm new to engraving but have been considering trying to learn a program to improve the quality of my designs. I am a retired art teacher and am 75 years old. I'm also a typical old fart when it comes to computers so I am hesitant to try something of this complexity. I would take a class if one was available. Any suggestions?