Adobe's LIGHTROOM?

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
With all the photo pros on this forum, I was wondering if any of you have had a chance to evaluate Adobe's new inexpensive, (relatively), photofinishing software? I read an article in Popular Photo and the program looks pretty good to an amateur like myself. Particularly since I don't have even an old version of Photoshop. They are selling it for $100.00 less than the normal retail 'till the end of April. It is supposed to have all the important elements of it's big brother without all the confusion of extensive menus. Just wondering if this would be a good first "serious" photo software program to buy?

I already own a good, solid, simple program, but am wondering if this step-up would be valuable.

Mark

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Mark: Adobe just sent me a free copy of Lightroom since I'd purchased another software they had bought out last year. I've not experimented with it much, but I understand it's quite good. If I'm not mistaken, it's primarily designed for photographers who process large amounts of images, like wedding photographers, etc. For me, I like Photoshop's incredible control and editing capabilities. I don't think Lightroom is even close as far as photoshop goes, but that's not saying it's not good software. Apple Aperture is Lightroom's competitor, and it's also supposed to be good, and designed to process large amounts of images (as opposed to one at a time).

I think you can download the beta of Lightroom and give it a test drive. If not, I can send you the trial version which you can use for 30 days. I have it on CD somewhere. If you decide you like it, then you can buy it.

~Sam

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam is correct that you can download a 3 day trial if you don't have recent versions of other Adobe software. It is primarily aim at large batch and sorting venues and not really an attempt to be a cheap version of photoshop but rather a an extension for those doing mass processing. If yuo are looking for simple photo editing program, then you probably want Adobe Elements, which is a simplified version of Photoshop, and this software comes bundled free with many cameras.. even buying it outright, I still think its cheaper than Lightshop 199, versus399, 299 with the discount

Andy

Elite Cafe Member
You can get an unregistered copy of Photoshop version 6 on Ebay for less than $100. Link
Version 6 will outperform Lightbox I'm sure. It will definately blow Elements out of the water. I used version6 for quite a long time before I upgraded to version CS. I am not sure it was even necessary for me.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andy,

Thanks for the heads-up! After searching other web sites pertaining to photography, I ended up going to Ebay and buying a Photoshop 6 for $90.00! Far less expensive than the $200.00 for Lightroom and it should be more usfull. Now I'll have to get the "Photoshop for Dummies" to learn how to use it. I am also going to get the FEGA tape on Sam's lecture on direct uses for engravers. When am I ever going to get back to making chips. or should I say curls?

Mark

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
That's a good deal for $90! There are tons of photoshop tutorials on the web, many of them photography-specific.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Doc Mark.
Please take a look at a book called "Teach Yourself Visually" Adobe Photoshop by Mike Wooldridge
ISBN0-7645-4181-1 $29.95.
This book shows you a color picture of the screen you will have open and what and where to click for whatever you are attempting to do.
Much easier than wading through a bunch of hard to understand and read text IMO.
And the cost is about the same as the "Dummy" books.
Even works for a tech. dummy like me!
Have fun and enjoy Photoshop.
As Andrew Biggs told me it has ten times the stuff you will ever need.
Hope this is a help.
John B.

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I went over to ebay looking for photoshop 6 for the mac. There aren't that many copies available and they seem to be either used, educational or both. Does any of that matter?

Allan

Andy

Elite Cafe Member
Not to me it doesn't. You may not be able to register the program but it should be fully functional.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Is there worlds of difference between Corel & Photoshop. I ask because I have Corel and it seems to do way more than I'll ever have time to learn or even need. Is Photoshop easier, because that would be a big plus.
Thanks
Mike

Last edited:

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
Mike, IMHO Corel does about 90% of what Photoshop will do, and it has an easier, more logical menu system to navigate between functions. (note that I haven't used Photoshop for a few versions, so they may have improved the interface; different functions weren't consistent in how they operated ).

For those who need the high end functions of Photoshop, that extra 10% can be critical. However, I believe that the majority of Photoshop (and Corel) users only use a small fraction of the capabilities and option. Therefore, for most uses I recommend Corel. For professional photographers, graphic designers, etc., Photoshop is essential.

My brother has been reviewing Lightroom. As Sam said, it's largely for people who shoot in bulk and have to process a lot of photos. It does have some very nice functions, like automated copyright stamping of a large quantity of photos, preparing thumbnails and preview versions, backing up to remote drives, and a compare feature. You can put two or four versions of a shot on screen and compare them, select one, then compare it to another batch, till you find the best photo from a large group of similar shots.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Walter sounds like my corel is good enough for me. I'm far from an illustrator. Most of my pictures are for archival records. I seem to use Corel Photo-Paint for all editing, Corel Draw seems to be a hassle to edit stuff, then I bring it back to Draw for formating. I would like to be more proficient at using it. Do you know of anything good that really helps you learn it other than going to a classroom.
Mike