Air Compressor advice

maryw

TAYLORS, SC (BETWEEN GREENVILLE & SPARTANBURG
I need to purchase an air compressor for my GRS engraving equipment. At the moment, I am thinking about the Sil-Air (Quiet Air) Compressor from GRS. Any advice, suggestions, thoughts that you all would like to give me regarding a compressor would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Mary W

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The Sil-Air is hard to beat. There's a lot of compressors out there but this one is so nice and quiet.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have the Sil-Air and I am totally satisfied with it. That being said, if your compressor will NOT be located where you engrave, another less expensive compressor would be another good option. The only other issue I have had with the Sil-Air is that if you run a high speed handpiece, the compressor is working hard and gets hot fast.

Peter

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Mary..Do yourself a favor..go to Sears buy an inexpensive Crafsman Aircompressor..get it as far away from your shop as possible with a long hose..and your problem is solved. Also install a water trap between your air compressor, and your Graver Max,..don't leave your engraving equipment plugged up to air when not in use..because of condensation. Good luck with your engraving endeavors.

Yours truly,
JJ Roberts
Manassas, VA
School of Artistic Engraving
www.angelfire.com/va2/engraver

I have a Craftsman Air Compressor (3HP 12 Gal) in my basement. I ran 75 feet of hose through the heating ductwork into my work shop. I can still hear the compressor cycle but when I consider the cost difference, it is quite acceptable.

I run my compressor off a 220V outlet. If you must use 110V, consider the amperage load. My circuits can only handle 15 Amps and using 110V, I think the compressor would pull very close to that. If there were anything else on the same circuit, you could blow fuses (or circuit breakers) frequently.

firefly

I use a Sil-Air within 3 feet of my vise in a room measuring 10 by 12 feet. It's quiet enough that it doesn't bother me when I'm working, and I can reach the switches, etc. from my seat. It's expensive, but it does have an oil bath, which means longer life, and you don't have to run a bunch of hoses or bother your neighbors, if you work late at night. Just my experience.

Greg Neely

AllanFink1960

You can also try air compressors made for air brushing. Find one with a refridgerator type motor...they are very quiet, just like the fridge in your kitchen. You will need one with an air tank though. The motor runs til the tank gets up to a certain pressure than the motor stops running until the pressure drops too low, then the motor starts up again.

The little "diaphram" type wont do -- they sputter too much and get VERY hot. I have an older model from Badger Airbrush that I like alot. Just make sure the one you get has enough air pressure and volume.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Mary

The big question is..............how much noise can you and the neighbours put up with?

If you can get a normal fairly cheap compressor (with a decent holding tank) tucked around, or in the house somewhere so the noise dosn't diturb you or the neighbours, then go that way. Some extra hose and a moisture trap should do the trick.

If noise is a problem or consideration, to either you or your neighbours then the silent compressors are the way to go.

Cheers
Andrew

sdcoxx

Elite Cafe Member
Mary,
Like firefly, I have a Sil-air near my bench in a small room.
It is SUPER quite and convenient.
GRS has put alot of thought into it's setup and operation for their engraving tools.
With the Gravermach and the Sil-air, I have the Cadillac of engraving tools.
For me, the extra money was well spent.
Highly recommend...
Stephen

FL-Flinter

Elite Cafe Member
Finally a topic I can chime in on...

First thing you need to know is the air consumption of the largest tool you will be running off the compressor. The tool should be rated in CFM @ X psig. You want a compressor that has at least 1.5 times the capasity of the highest volume use tool. Thus, if the highest volume tool is rated "3 cfm @ 90 psig" the compressor should be rated to deliver a minimum of 4.5 cfm @ 90 psi. Getting a compressor rated at 2.5 to 3 times the required delivery will shorten the "on" cycle time provided the storage tank is also of sufficient volume, this extends the "off" cycle time allowing the unit to run cooler. Running any compressor all the time, oil bath type or not, will shorten its lifespan considerably - exception for screw type compressors.

"oil-less" or "oil free" compressors are insanely noisy and will drive the most sane person insane in a matter of minutes - only advantage is if you can take the noise for about an hour until you loose your hearing, you may survive the self-imposed torture.

High speed oil bath compressors are also short life machines and quite noisy as well. These run about 20% less money to purchase than a low RPM machine but you'll replace it numerous times making it a very poor economical choice. My advice to everyone (I've spec'ed compressors and designed compressed air systems for industrial uses) is spend your money wisely the first time. If you start a high quality low RPM high storage volume compressor, you'll have one that will last you decades before needing anything more than an occasional cleaning and oil change. I have no affilliation with any company but based on my 22 years of heavy industrial experience, Saylor-Beall and Qunicy are my top two choices for a recip. compressor. Both companies offer high quality packaged machines (plug & play) at reasonable prices that are not that much higher than what you'll pay for a low quality disposable sears/wally world/home depot/lowes machine.

Key thing to remember when purchasing a compressor, just like an electrical generator, overkill is a good thing. If you require 5 cfm @ 90 psi with 15 gallons of storage and you buy a compressor that delivers 15 cfm @ 145 psi and is sitting on an 80 gallon tank, you've done the right thing. You don't have to get carried away but go as big and powerful as you can make room for within reason. If you provide me with your tool usage requirements and available electrical utility supply, I'll be happy to offer suggestions on available machines for you to look at.
Mark

Hi Mary,
You may have made your decision so this may be moot...but I need to make a couple more posts before I get access around the posting moderators...

I just purchased a complete shop set-up from GRS. I saw their Sil-Air compressor once in a jewelry supply shop in Honolulu, Hawaii where I used to live. At that time I thought it seemed a but hokey. A refrigerator compressor on top of a tank. But I have to admit it was just about dead quiet and was acclaimed to have long life (even cheap refrigerators run forever). I decided to get the Sil-Air when I ordered from GRS even though the price was considerable more than ANY comparably sized compressor I could get at Sears or Home Depot. I liked the quiet, and the claim to long life. It took a little while to set-up. You have to connect a few water traps. And it has no oil in the compressor so you have to add oil. And GRS now includes a fan for helping keep the thing cool, which you have to attach. But is is a slick little gizmo and makes only a little more noise than the house refrigerator. Less noise than thew combined noise of the gravermach and the magnum tool.

When you are cost comparing a Sears/HD compressor with the Sil-Air dont look at just the compressor price. You will likely need water and oil trap with a generic compressor and hose/tubing. You will need to find them as well if Sears/HD don't have them. Then you will need connectors/fittings and maybe tools to make the fittings work (a flange tool or other, depending on the tubing you use). The Sil-Air from GRS comes with all of that.

Good luck on your decision. As long as the volume of air production on the compressor is more than the requirements of your tools, you won't make a wrong decision.

Aloha,
Robert Booth
The Koa Bench Goldsmith