Airgraver / GRS / Enset for Jewellery?

whiteanvil

Hello all, I'm new here and have been reading lots of old threads about pneumatic engraver systems. Ready to commit now!

Some background: I've spent years doing calligraphy on paper and "engraving" on wood using a simple rotary tool. I also make some simple hand-forged jewellery and am feeling very limited with hand tools. I've briefly tried Florentine hand engraving and whilst it is very rewarding, I would like to be able to work faster and cleaner.

I've read a lot about the Lindsay Airgraver (but from threads dated 2008-2013....) and know that the GRS and Enset systems exist out there.

My objectives are to do air-assisted milgrain on jewellery, and be able to transfer some of the wood/calligraphy work I do over to small metal pieces (e.g. 2mm wide ring shanks). Some basic bead setting. I also live in a tiny Manhattan apartment and am conscious about noise (are certain systems noisier). We currently have a cheapy $50 air compressor that I use for air-brushing and I think that noise is fine though.

I am in New York City and am wondering whether I can try anything out?

Thanks all!

Juliet

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hello Juliet, and welcome to the Cafe forum.
I think you will find that any of the three pneumatic systems you mention will do the work you want to do. I strongly suggest that you try them all first before buying anything.
Unfortunately, your air brush compressor will not produce enough volume of air to run them.
For most of them, and because of the compressor noise in your small apartment you will also need to invest in a near silent (about the noise of a refrigerator) dental type compressor.
The Lindsay Airgraver can be run on refillable compressed air tanks or CO2 tanks, talk to Steve Lindsay. I'm not sure about the Enset on tanks, but talk to Tira Mitchell.
As far as I know the GRS tools will require a compressor, but double check with them by phone.
Best of luck and look forward to seeing you post some follow up and pictures of you work.

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
Juliet,
I can tell you that the Lindsay Air Graver will run fine on an air brush compressor. I have been running a classic on one since I got mine and it works fine. They are very frugal on air consumption. I got my AirPro compressor second hand and its air tank can’t be more than a couple of litres. The air brush compressor noise is just like a refrigerator ,as you are aware, and the AirGraver is also very quiet in use, so shouldn’t be a issue in an appartment. Best of luck in your ingraving journey.
Cheers
Don

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
welcome welcome glad to see you hear finally!!! We have been waiting for you. paps

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Don, thank you for the update that the Lindsay Air Graver will run on an air brush compressor.
Sorry for the misinformation, Juliet.
I have not tried mine on one as I have a Sil Air 5 gallon "silent" compressor.
And based on the number of times the Air graver recycles it I did not think my air brush compressor would handle it. Will have to give it a try.

whiteanvil

Hello Juliet, and welcome to the Cafe forum.
I think you will find that any of the three pneumatic systems you mention will do the work you want to do. I strongly suggest that you try them all first before buying anything.
Unfortunately, your air brush compressor will not produce enough volume of air to run them.
For most of them, and because of the compressor noise in your small apartment you will also need to invest in a near silent (about the noise of a refrigerator) dental type compressor.
The Lindsay Airgraver can be run on refillable compressed air tanks or CO2 tanks, talk to Steve Lindsay. I'm not sure about the Enset on tanks, but talk to Tira Mitchell.
As far as I know the GRS tools will require a compressor, but double check with them by phone.
Best of luck and look forward to seeing you post some follow up and pictures of you work.
Thanks John, I've sent a note to Tira since she offers a class and is only a 1.5h drive from Manhattan. I've asked whether she has other machines other than Enset that she can make available for the lesson.

whiteanvil

Juliet,
I can tell you that the Lindsay Air Graver will run fine on an air brush compressor. I have been running a classic on one since I got mine and it works fine. They are very frugal on air consumption. I got my AirPro compressor second hand and its air tank can’t be more than a couple of litres. The air brush compressor noise is just like a refrigerator ,as you are aware, and the AirGraver is also very quiet in use, so shouldn’t be a issue in an appartment. Best of luck in your ingraving journey.
Cheers
Don
That's great to know that you've managed to set it up with a small air compressor! Thanks!

Gordon

Hi Juliet,
I bought one of these California Air Tools compressors a few months ago, it's quiet (I know...that's a relative term.) and very inexpensive.

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
Tira runs a fine company and I've bought a few things from her. But I believe she only sells the enset engraver system so I doubt she would have an airgraver or GRS system available to try out. But like John B. said all three systems will cut fine. They may need a little getting used to in knowing how to set them up for your specific needs but you can see absolutely beautiful work done on all three.

The noise can be a tricky thing. I live in a condo and like John B. I use one of the extremely quiet compressors ( a super silent 50 ) ; they can really be expensive, but there is no appreciable noise with them that a neighbor would ever notice.. There are compressors that are quiet but they aren't really quiet, they just make a lot less noise than regular compressors.

The other big noise maker is what you're cutting. The pneumatic engravers are like very sophisticated jack hammers. If you're not cutting something too deep, its solid, and held firmly, then noise should not be an issue. But if you are cutting something hollow, like a baby cup it may be a lot more noisier.

Allan

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Juliet,

Not sure whether it has been mentioned but you are heading for a big investment! Why not give yourself some insurance and perhaps make another investment - maybe find a teacher you could go to for a few days but make sure they have a variety of systems you could try while there.

Personally I use a Lindsey Classic and really like it however I note that you want to work on jewellery - if that is the case I would make sure you try the Enset - particularly if setting. That may have been my choice if it had been around when I bought my set-up.

Good luck and hope you have many years ahead of you.

Roger

PS - Should have read your first post better - just saw that you want to try some out

edgrabow15

Elite Cafe Member
Hello all, I'm new here and have been reading lots of old threads about pneumatic engraver systems. Ready to commit now!

Some background: I've spent years doing calligraphy on paper and "engraving" on wood using a simple rotary tool. I also make some simple hand-forged jewellery and am feeling very limited with hand tools. I've briefly tried Florentine hand engraving and whilst it is very rewarding, I would like to be able to work faster and cleaner.

I've read a lot about the Lindsay Airgraver (but from threads dated 2008-2013....) and know that the GRS and Enset systems exist out there.

My objectives are to do air-assisted milgrain on jewellery, and be able to transfer some of the wood/calligraphy work I do over to small metal pieces (e.g. 2mm wide ring shanks). Some basic bead setting. I also live in a tiny Manhattan apartment and am conscious about noise (are certain systems noisier). We currently have a cheapy $50 air compressor that I use for air-brushing and I think that noise is fine though.

I am in New York City and am wondering whether I can try anything out?

Thanks all!

Juliet
Welcome aboard Juliet, I happen to live out in Shirley Long Island, I own both the GRS System and the Lindsey. If you want to jump on a train ( LIRR ) and take a trip on the Montauk line, to the Shirley Mastic station I live A Mile down the road ,Your more than welcome to bring a friend and come try them both out, I run them off the Silent Air Air Compressor that I got thru GRS, All you hear is it click on . Its the most Quiet Compressor I've ever used. Send me a message if your interested and Ill give you My phone number to make arrangements ., Im retired so any time or day pretty much is good for me, Good luck either way, Ed

whiteanvil

Hi Juliet,
Personally I use a Lindsey Classic and really like it however I note that you want to work on jewellery - if that is the case I would make sure you try the Enset - particularly if setting. That may have been my choice if it had been around when I bought my set-up.
Hi Roger - curious why an Enset might be more suitable for jewellery?

whiteanvil

Welcome aboard Juliet, I happen to live out in Shirley Long Island, I own both the GRS System and the Lindsey. If you want to jump on a train ( LIRR ) and take a trip on the Montauk line, to the Shirley Mastic station I live A Mile down the road ,Your more than welcome to bring a friend and come try them both out, I run them off the Silent Air Air Compressor that I got thru GRS, All you hear is it click on . Its the most Quiet Compressor I've ever used. Send me a message if your interested and Ill give you My phone number to make arrangements ., Im retired so any time or day pretty much is good for me, Good luck either way, Ed
Hi Ed, I will DM you.

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Roger - curious why an Enset might be more suitable for jewellery?
Juliet,
The Enset has the ability to wind right down to deliver just one hit - this might be useful for you when setting but it can also produce a flow of hits for engraving. I have not used one but if you have the opportunity to try I would take up the offer.