Airtact knob modification

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
While in Munich last week I tested a couple of modified Airtact knobs. They are the same knob and touch pad as standard, except that the diameter was turned down about .17" smaller. When I installed the knob on my 901 I instantly felt a positive difference. It felt more natural and comfortable and I loved it. During the show I would switch back and forth from the smaller knob to the standard one, and always went back to the smaller diameter. I also installed one on my Monarch and experienced the same nice feel.

While at the show Martin Strolz tested the knob and preferred the larger standard knob. For my hands, the smaller knob simply feels and works better. I think this is definitely worth some experimentation by Airtact users.

* The knobs I tested (and am presently using) are not special knobs, they are regular knobs turned down to a smaller diameter.
* They are 416 stainless so users can lathe turn them if they wish (by chucking the handpiece barrel into the lathe chuck - be careful!). Knifemakers might use their belt sanders.
* GRS may or may not make smaller knobs. The point was to get info and feedback on different sizes and shapes of knobs by having me test them.
* The worst scenario is that you ruin a knob and have to buy a new one from GRS. While that sounds somewhat risky, the potential benefit of finding a perfect fit for their individual hand preference and style may be worth it.

Attachments

• airtact_knobs.jpg
    airtact_knobs.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 119