Albrecht Durer "The Praying Hands"

piper

I have seen these hands so many times in so many places.

Now they say something to me. Thanks...

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
True story?

Upon further reading, unfortunately this story appears to be ficture but it's still a good story nevertheless.

The next time you see a copy of The Praying Hands, take a second look. Let it be your reminder, if you still need one, that no one - no one - - ever makes it alone!

~Source Unknown~

Even though the story is fiction, I hope the intent of the story is appreciated, whether true or not.

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
Upon further reading, unfortunately this story appears to be ficture but it's still a good story nevertheless.
Agreed. Nice story, but it doesn't seem to ring true. Durer's father was a very successful goldsmith, and his godfather was the most successful publisher in Germany. His mother came from a wealthy family. Durer apprenticed first with his father, and then with another artist. (Teenage apprentices back then were generally provided with room and board, so he wouldn't need his brother to support him). I also believe he grew up in Nurenburg, not in a tiny village outside of town.

He drew the hands when he was 37; it's a study for a detail in a much larger project.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors