Gold inlay question

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
I am doing the fox and pheasant in raised gold. My question is what is the best way to prepare the tail feather tips for gold. I have been practicing with fine silver. When I get the fine tips ready to hold the silver securely they are a little thicker than I want. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• FOX AND PHEASANT.jpeg
    FOX AND PHEASANT.jpeg
    62.3 KB · Views: 62

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Leland, Do you mean too Wide, or too Thick??
Maybe I am miss understanding you.
A picture would be a big help.
If they are too Wide. Trim the outside back after inlay.
If they are too Thick. Use thinner gold or shave the top down after inly.

John B.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
John, I got the impression he meant that in getting teeth and undercuts strong enough to hold the silver he had made the cavity too wide/big. I suggest using gold for testing which I find much easier to inlay than silver and use a fine scribe point to undercut (scratch) the outline and make teeth. These won't be as pronounced as those needed for silver and the small amount of gold used to test can be removed for future use and will give an idea of how well the gold is sticking. Also, when doing the actual inlay the gold in that area will likely be a part of a larger area of gold and thus gain holding strength from that.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
John and Sam thank you for your response. My goal is to keep the long graceful taper of the tail feathers. I tried again today using Sam's advice scribe for the teeth and gold wire. Much better results. I did grind a hybrid cutter a 90 degree v point with flat sides total width .010 with it I was able to cut the sides straight without making the cut wider.
Yep the only part that worried me was splayed out tail feathers and they will have more gold for support. But I don't want to be the guy that the gold fell out.
Thank you

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
John, I got the impression he meant that in getting teeth and undercuts strong enough to hold the silver he had made the cavity too wide/big. I suggest using gold for testing which I find much easier to inlay than silver and use a fine scribe point to undercut (scratch) the outline and make teeth. These won't be as pronounced as those needed for silver and the small amount of gold used to test can be removed for future use and will give an idea of how well the gold is sticking. Also, when doing the actual inlay the gold in that area will likely be a part of a larger area of gold and thus gain holding strength from that.
Thanks Sam.
As you say, maybe his problem is he is expanding the cavity area when creating the undercut.
Sounds like he is on the right track and working on it.
John B.

Sponsors