anchoring tiny stuff

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i've shown several friends the fotos posted of sams' work. all agree, wonderful, beautiful, incredible work.
there's a problem, however. most do not believe the head of the straight pin is real. sam, if you'll kindly tell me how you anchored the pin, i'm going to be fool enough to try and put my jds on one to prove to these disbelievers that your straightpin is real. i tried wedging one betwixt 2 blocks of wood, but the head moved too much to do any serious work on it.:eek:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Thanks for your kind words, Monk. I don't recall exactly how I held the pin, but it was probably clamped in my vise between a couple of thin wood shims. You have to clamp them directly under the head or they'll move around. I think I've done 4 of them. Two were taken from my bench at a trade show, I gave one to Don Glaser, and I have one left.

monk

Staff member
Thanks for your kind words, Monk. I don't recall exactly how I held the pin, but it was probably clamped in my vise between a couple of thin wood shims. You have to clamp them directly under the head or they'll move around. I think I've done 4 of them. Two were taken from my bench at a trade show, I gave one to Don Glaser, and I have one left.
thanks, my friend. i had used soft wood- no good. hard wood -great. bad news tho, the box of pins i bought were 2-piece pins. the pin shaft was somehow inserted into the head and would not be suitable to engrave. i'm going to have to start breaking into old ladies' sewing boxes ! when i find a good one i'll send you a pic. thanx..:D

Sam

Staff member
The first thing I did after securing them in the vise was to polish off the chrome with a sanding stick. Not sure which pins are the best. I just used whatever was handy and it seemed to work.

monk

Staff member
The first thing I did after securing them in the vise was to polish off the chrome with a sanding stick. Not sure which pins are the best. I just used whatever was handy and it seemed to work.

i will try that. if no joy, will take a flat head mini wire nail and spin the head to proper diameter and proceed with a jds. thank you.

Sam

Staff member
Quite honestly, I think anyone who engraves pinheads or WANTS to engrave a pinhead is deeply disturbed. My advice is to stop before it's too late. / ~Sam

monk

Staff member
pinheads

Quite honestly, I think anyone who engraves pinheads or WANTS to engrave a pinhead is deeply disturbed. My advice is to stop before it's too late. / ~Sam

hey, mister- i'm not throwin stones here- but gee i'm tryin to remember the names of the people who influenced me to buy a scope. garsh, i'm gettin a headache just thinkin ! and the names of the ones who got me to try doin a nickel ! hey, it's you guys who influenced me, i'm the young and impressionable one. anyway, i cant stop ! an it's all your fault. ha ha. my doctor told me you're just jealous cause the voices talk only to me and not to you !:rolleyes: