Another Left Handers Nickel

threefingerdave

Elite Cafe Member
I was not sure if i wanted to post this after seeing Mr. Hunts 1st nickel as his is really awesome but I am enjoying myself and with each cut i learn something new so I am going to post
I appreciate your comments and critiques
thanks Dave

Attachments

• DSCF0002web.jpg
    DSCF0002web.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 141
A

ArtisanAttributes

Dave,
Its great your having fun!!! Your nickels are doing well. Thanks for showing.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
you are quite diversified in your subject material. i like that, dave.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looking good Dave!

That field is starting to get nice and even. I assume you're getting faster at it (the field) as well?

threefingerdave

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks
Steve i am getting faster at the field. but it is still a major part of my nickel carving.
I have some rubber points and wheels coming from Reo I hope that helps .
Lee thanks fer the kind words.
Monk, thanks buddy
Mdengraver, thanks ....i really like carving on nickels.
going to try another ship next time
Dave

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
steve ellsworth spent tons of time teaching me how to do nickel carving.he really all but held my hand. i bought a scope to do it. i did 1 nickel and enjoyed every minute of time i spent on it. but-- i still have yet to sit down to do the 2nd one. i've decided to do the coyote, but am actually ashamed that i haven't taken the time to start the coyote. darn, maybe tonite !

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tres Dave
Good job keep cutting, might want to try really light start to the shading and also curve it some and start going deeper as you progress to the center try a 90 graver or steeper Kudos to Steve E( this is tough still drives me crazy) Dont let the Englishmen get you down they have been at this for a little while:rolleyes:

threefingerdave

Elite Cafe Member
Dave
Thanks for your comments
i really have a hard time with my 90's
i usually use an ongellete. I will try the 90 again ... I remember Sams tutorial about just sliding it befor it dives in for shading.I will give it a try
thanks again
Three

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dave, don't be put off by my father's first nickel, please. I was being facetious when I said 'not bad for a beginner.' In fact he's been engraving for nearly 58 years! Although my posting of his hobo nickel demonstrated his first carving skills in this particular genre he has been engraving, carving and painting/drawing for a loooonnnngggg time. Back in the 60's he carved/made dies for 2 coins/medalions. One was of the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh to celebrate some anniversary or other, and the other one was of Winston Churchill (the English wartime prime minister not the engraver!). Those who took his Master Class last year saw them and I will endeavour to borrow and photograph them for the forum. Unfortunately, they were not struck as commercial pieces or in great numbers but a couple of people must have them.

So, far from feeling inadequate with your posting maybe you should turn it on it's head and use all the wonderful nickels posted by guys such as Steve Adams, Steve Cox and Billzach, etc, as something to strive for and exceed. Keep cutting and strive to make each nickel you produce a little bit better than your last one; be it with a better field, unusual subject matter or just plain better graver control. Never feel put off or ashamed to post anything you've done. It's the only way to learn and progress. Likewise though, if you do post something be aware that the critique may not always be pats on the back and "well done's". Again, by the more experienced engravers telling you what you're doing wrong you'll find that you'll advance your technique.

Keep cuttin'!

threefingerdave

Elite Cafe Member
Marcus,
thanks for the words of encouragement.
I will definitely keep posting because i like to hear others comments and critiques..... I don't take them personally. when i am engraving and carve a coin i get pretty excited about it and want to share it with others. Then when i post it i see all of the little things i need to really work on .I think from now on i will show some patience and take a picture of it and look at it for a day or two before i post.
I thought your dad was one of the "Masters".... I will keep striving to get better.
I have been keeping smoke pull records of my coins in a little book and when i go back to my 1st coin i can definitely see improvement.
thanks again and thank your dad for the great coin
Dave

Latest posts

Sponsors