Another surface prep--Sharpie MEAN STREAK

TallGary

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Wandering through the local Farm-Fleet store today I came across a Sharpie display with a white marker -- Sharpie Mean Streak permanent marking stick. Sharpie part number 85118, price $3.69. I thought it was a white ink marker but it turns out to be a soft solid paint stick. Used like a crayon but very lightly, I got a nice opaque surface that took pencil and ink very well. Used too heavily, I got a nice opaque surface that would chip off easily during layout with a pencil -- not what I was looking for, so a very light application is needed. Takes a few minutes to dry and appears to adhere best to a degreased surface. I did a successful transfer from Epson transparency film as well, but I prefer the Transfer Magic solution for best results.

Gary

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Sounds interesting, Gary. Can you erase on the white without removing it? Like with a kneadable eraser?
~Sam

TallGary

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Sam,

I did some erasing after reading your post. I tried a Staedtler Mars plastic eraser -- very soft, and can erase pencil lines without scrubbing through the surface. A pink eraser is a little too aggressive and wears away the paint. Also removed inked lines but I may not have allowed the ink to completely set up.

Retested on fully dried ink 2 hours after applying, it's a tougher erasure. You can get it off but the paint tends to come with it-- gets real thin. Tried Sharpie permanent black and a technical pen with similar results.

Gary

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Sounds like a good Chinese white substitute. I'll pick one up.
Thanks, Gary!