antiquing first relief engraved buckle

James

Hi to all, at least we got no excuse not to hit the bench...My first relief engraved buckle, things going ok until I attempted liver of sulfur (midas gel), I basicly crashed and burned...stuff plated the entire suface, had to sand & repolish, losing my crispness... anyway, love some imput. next time trying inking!

Attachments

• 1584822662661.jpg
    1584822662661.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 146
  • 1584822987111.jpg
    1584822987111.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 145

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
You may have lost a little crispness but it still looks really good. I especially like the area that the prong rests on. Really well done.

I always told my apprentices that most of the important parts of engraving I learned was through grim experience. Welcome to the club.:beerchug:

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Next time you can strip the patina with a little acid.. can also selectively strip using a yellow (med) rubber wheel and using it like an emery board

Monica

It looks beautiful as is. I've used MIDAS, JAX, liver of sulfur and ink. The first three can be a little tricky...you can use a paintbrush only on the parts you want to be darkened. Also, the color may vary depending on the temperature of your metal and other things. Maybe inking will be faster and leave cleaner results.

Goldjockey

Elite Cafe Member
You might want to try Win-OX. It's a go to spot oxidizer for Native American silversmiths here in the southwestern US, and a real favorite of professional Navajo jewelry finishers. To apply only in recessed areas, you can use a toothpick dipped in the stuff to dab it in, or paint it in. Be sure to neutralize in a baking soda bath, and then rinse thoroughly with clean water after application. Oxidizes (blackens) instantly.

You can get it here: https://www.thunderbirdsupply.com/win-ox-3-oz

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have used the Midas liver of sulphur a little goes a long way towards darkening. I believe you can dilute it with water apply with a toothpick or fine qtip depending on the density of detail. You can dilute the gel with water and apply in layers until the dark value you seek is achieved. Take your time with the process experiment 1st on a sample piece.