Any mistake can be fixed

Archie Woodworth

Elite Cafe Member
If welding to fill pits/errors make sure the filler metal used will not turn hard when it cools or graver tips will cry foul! I shortened a floorplate once by 1 1/4 inch and had a friend weld it back together. Very hard and took three attemps to anneal so it could be cut. The last one of those I have done I welded myself using SpoolArc Easy Grind mig wire and could not tell where the base metal and weld were joined. Worked great. Have no idea what difference hot blue would make between the two metals though. I never had any problems with rust blue, plating or case colors.

Another possibility is while you are cutting lines or removing background you can save curls of metal and use for inlaying small blemishes/errors with no worry about finish problems.
Sam, you are right on regarding the weld "hardening" issue That weld is harder than "superman head" LOL ... almost "file hard". Wire must have been all iron. ESAB has a "Easy Grind" MIG wire in 0.023" (which is about the largest that I can melt with this welder) that might be an option.
https://www.esab.ca/ca/en/products/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.product&productCode=9492

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I have a student who is a master welder that can hide any pits or any other defects on any of the guns I have to engrave. J.J.

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Search EzineArticles.com

Search

Home

Search

9 Most Common Engraving Mistakes and Misconceptions About Engraving
By Rex TubbsSubmitted On October 16, 2009

Misspelled Name - Always confirm the spelling of names. Don't rely on your memory. So many names have different spellings. Example: Terry or Teri or Terrie and on and on it goes.
Wrong Date - This is the same as the number 1 mistake. Always get it in writing before we engrave it. Remember, engraving cannot be erased.
Engraving is like Printing - Wrong! Engraving, we are using diamonds to plow the surface, like a farmer plows his fields. Or we use lasers to burn off a layer of the surface of the engraving material. None of these engraving processes are we adding ink to the surface. Note: There are other engraving processes, but diamond drag and laser are the most common.
All metal surfaces can be engraved - The answer is no. A ruff metal surface is almost impossible to see the engraving. The roughness is competing with the engraving. Also, many metal surfaces, especially gifts, are plated. Most of the time plated surfaces will engrave OK. Once in a while they have bad plating. The bad plating is only uncovered when it is engraved. The bad spot, the plating peels up. This only happens about 5% of the time.
Assuming what you have cannot be engraved - We have all taken gifts to an award stores only for them to say, "It can not be engraved." They are implying that nobody can engrave it. In reality - They can't engrave it. Many times it can be engraved by another company. One great example is watches. The manufacture loves to put all sorts of markings on the back leaving almost no room for engraving. We get around this by engraving on an arc, many times around the edge.
Engraving is too expensive - Yes, it is too expensive - if you take it to a jewelry store. Most jewelry stores don't engrave. They send it out. The jewelry store and the engraver both need to make a profit. It is best to go to an engraver first. Save some money. Besides, all your concerns can be given directly to the engraver, not passed on through notes from the jeweler.
Lack of engraving choices - Most small awards and engraving places have limited capabilities. Do your research. Ask what the engraving choices are for your engraving job. Ask for testimonials from the engraver's customers. If they don't have any, continue your search for an engraver.
It takes forever to get something engraved - Yes, if you take it to a jewelry store. They have to send it out and the time goes by. Taking your engraving job directly to an engraver cuts out the shipping time between the jeweler and the engraver (both ways). Deal direct!
It can be buffed out and re-engraved - The answer is (yes and no). Solid metals like gold or silver can be buffed out and re-engraved. But most jewelry and gift items are plated. When it is buffed out, the plated surface is removed exposing the core metal. The piece is then ruined. Gold pieces that are solid gold will have a stamping 10kt, 14kt, etc. Silver will have stamped Sterling Silver. These items can be buffed out and re-engraved. Almost everything else can not be buffed out. Another trick to tell if it can be buffed out is the price of the item. If it is inexpensive - It is plated. If it is expensive it is more likely to be solid metal and can be buffed out and re-engraved.
The goal is to have a positive experience having your gift or award engraved. A little knowledge can increase your chances for success. Happy engraving!
Engraving Connection - [http://www.engravingconnectionstore.com] has been in business for 31 years. They do all sorts of unique engraving jobs. From crystal vases to a glass Christmas ornament and more.
Rex M. Tubbs
734-459-3180
Article Source:http://EzineArticles.com/expert/Rex_Tubbs/123525

0 Comments | Leave a Comment
Did you find this article helpful? 2 1
Viewed 11,353 times

Word count: 612
Article Tools
EzinePublisherReport this articleCite this article
Stay Informed
Subscribe to New Article Alerts:
Shopping and Product Reviews Rex Tubbs

Subscribe
We will never sell or rent your email address.
Shopping and Product Reviews Article Feed
Find More Articles
Search

Recent Articles

EzineArticles.com

Authors

Publishers

© 2018 EzineArticles
All Rights Reserved Worldwide

Jonathan.Silas

Elite Cafe Member