As of today!

Dulltool

Elite Cafe Member
My day job went away as of yesterday (down sizing)... So as of today I've become a full time engraver. I do have a solid plan to turn my engraving talents into cold hard cash.....and lots of it! I am feeling pretty good about this next chapter in my life. :)

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Way to go Dennis!! Went through the same thing back in ot-2. There's nothing like being your own boss AND creating something tangeable that can't become obsolete, upgraded or erased.

Those folks that herd themselves onto cattle cars and spend the best years of their lives in a cubicle (yes that was me) ain't got no idea of the potential that that kind of freedom and feeling of accomplishment can have.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity!" -- Russell Crowe, 'Gladiator' - 2000

Best of luck,
Chris

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

All the very best for your future Dennis.

You are in for a real roller coaster ride being self employed...........but it's well worth all the highs and lows :)

Cheers
Andrew

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Congratulations & condolences - apply as needed. ;)

As we get everything paid off the ever-indulgent wife and I are inching ever closer to not having to put up with the current day jobs just for the paychecks.

Sounds like you were at about that point already so this should indeed be a good thing! :)

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Andrew's right, Dennis. It's a roller coaster ride for sure. My advice is to diversify and to keep many options open. Not only will it help to make income more consistent, but will also make you a better and well-rounded engraver.

Best of luck / ~Sam

vanknife

Elite Cafe Member
Good day Dennis,
All I can add to this is what I was told some time ago when I went through something similar, "Only You can make the difference" stay positive and stay focussed.

Cheers

"VAN"

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Best of luck to you Dennis!! You will probably work harder than you ever have in your life, but then you will be the one that benifits from that, not someone else. Congratulations, I think!

Deversify, and if you can get some kind of mass production thing going, it might help you through the hard lean times. It can be pretty daunting doing one thing at a time and having to produce volume for consistency in income and you have to be masterful at managing your income................and you might need a good woman to support you and believe in you!!! If you got all of those things, plus commitment and determination, you can't lose.
Ron

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Doing full time engraving as a means to put bread on the table reminds me of the time my wife and I started a candy business...."I never worked so hard for so little and enjoyed it so much in my life!" Good luck and Godspeed, Brother!

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dulltool--Congratulations!
I had a similar experience 6 years ago, but I wasn't downsized---I just quit!
I left the security of everything I had ever known,for the chance to become everything I always wanted to be.
Life has never been the same since---it's SSSOOOOooooo much better!
And Ron Smith is "right on" about hard work (and just about everything else), because I never worked so hard in my life until I started working for me.
You'll find out that "Good Luck" has nothing to do with success,but throwing your entire soul into your passion will.
6 years ago, I knew that as long as I had something (my job) to fall back on, I almost certainly would.
Burning my bridge meant I had to face either victory or perish---Not a very easy decision, but one I made because I had spent many years learning as much as I could about the engraving business, and honing a marketable skill.
It appears your bridge was burned for you and I believe everything happens for a reason.

My dreams (the local folks call me an overnight success) took 22 years to accomplish.
It is a "Road less traveled",but it is paved with GOLD!

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dull tool,
It takes courage to step out of your comfort zones, so I will give instant respect to anyone with the fortitude to attempt this as a trade.

Brian, the "overnight success" just goes to show you how far removed the public is from understanding doesn't it?....But then that doesn't matter.....nothing is going to stop us from our goals, and it is amazing the amount of respect you get from someone who didn't have a clue, but you showed him/her how you do your work. They are both flabbergasted and mezmerized by it......... Educate them boys!......Carry on!

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
You are so very right Brian ... the Lord works in mysterious ways and someday very soon when I visit I'll tell you the strange turn of events that brought me here to the woods of West Virginia. If I hadn't been layed off, I never would have found my way into the Lord's pavilion.

Ron, it's great to read your posts. You posted last summer about being diversified. That's the best recommendation for anyone getting started engraving full time. I'm glad I followed it and grateful to you for posting it.

Hey Dulltool ... always remember that you are not alone. When you get frustrated and down just e-mail or pick up the phone. (hey that rhymes!)

Chris

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
best of luck ! now and then it may be handy even beneficial to forget that you are an "arteest". don't be afraid to do bread & butter stuff ! the more different stuff you get involved in, the more green rolls in your door. never lose the faith.

Dulltool

Elite Cafe Member
Gee whizz guys.....
Thanks for all the kind words of encouragement and advice. I do feel I have this golden opportunity to pursue and fulfill my dream of being a self supporting engraver. I love the old Colt style engravings from the 1800's.... I've found my nitch! I have a master plan that will incorporate this style on other objects. I will reveal my plan at a later time when I have all my ducks lined up and ads paid for and stock in hand etc.

Thanks again for your kinship,

P.S. Weldon... don't worry it's not bracelets.... ;)