Question: ATI Shotgun

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi and hope everyone is doing well. I have been asked to put a name and date on the reciever of an ATI O/U shotgun. I'd never even heard of them until I looked them up. An enexpensive import, it says they are made of 7075 aluminum. I looked up 7075 aluminum but the info doesn't mean much to me, it's considered very high strength and good for airframes, and says machineability is fair. It's already got laser engraving on it. just wondering if anyone knew anything about them. I guess if it's not anodozed or coated in any other way it would be ok to cut.

Thanks
Todd

thughes

Well, it's only a $600.00 shotgun, bargain basement in the world of O/U's. I seriously doubt it's ever gonna have any collector value. But at the end of the day, not my call.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Antique firearms, for example an 1851 Colt Navy, will be worth more with a former owner's name inscribed on the gun. Collectors like to research who the gun originally belonged to. Some day the guns we are engraving will also be vintage. Yes, in the short run a cheap, non collectable gun like the ATI will never be enhanced with the owner's name but its value is primarily in its utility. Nevertheless if a dad gives a son or daughter that ATI with their name on it, it will be a treasured possession and of no interest how their name on the gun effects the value of a gun they will never sell.

monk

Staff member
as engravers, we all deal with "sentiment". what is a camp axe worth to the world? 20, maybe 30 bucks. if a name is engraved on it, the value implied raises exponentially while the intrinsic value remains the same. that same axe, given as a gift goes way beyond a possible valuation. as for engraving aluminum, not sure what i hate worse, aluminum, pewter, or some cast brass parts !

thughes

Exactly Roger. I believe it's an upcoming graduation present.

Yeah monk, i've cut a few aluminum motorcycle parts and it's kinda funky to cut. But if it's not anodized or otherwise coated it's doable. Just not sure about this ATI. I assume just polished, but you know what the say about assuming!

monk

Staff member
Exactly Roger. I believe it's an upcoming graduation present.

Yeah monk, i've cut a few aluminum motorcycle parts and it's kinda funky to cut. But if it's not anodized or otherwise coated it's doable. Just not sure about this ATI. I assume just polished, but you know what the say about assuming!
yes, it is all doable. but is it fun to cut ?? for me, no !

Latest posts

Sponsors