attaching full scales

deazyner

I know this is probably not the right place for this question but I know there are many engravers on this forum who make their own knives in the way I'm interested in.

I would like to attach full 416 SS scales onto titanium liners on a folder to be engraved. The scales will be about 3" long. My thought is to assemble the liners and spinebar with screws and then to pin the scales with a .12" 416 SS pivot pin and another in the back of the scale going through the liners and spinebar. I was wondering if the two pins will be sufficient or should I put a .06" pin in the middle portion of the scale at the top. It is really the clean "canvas" that I would like to get. I have seen many beautiful knives with full engraved scales but I'm not sure how to best go about it. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Keith

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The knifenetwork forum would be a place you might consider posting a copy of this, more knife folks lurk there. Ray or Andy may be able to help you here or there either one.

deazyner

Tim,
I did post it in the KnifeNetwork also.I figured it couldn't hurt to ask it here as well. I was actually hoping Andy would respond to this thread but I know by his last posts that he is very busy. Anyone else who can help would really be appreciated.

Thanks,
Keith

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I build knive and In my opinion, I feel what you're talking about doing would be fine as long as the 416 is ground good & flat. Dwayne

Andy

Elite Cafe Member
I attach my 416 scales with only two 0-80 screws. One at each end. They are screwed right to the liners. The knife without the scales is fully assembled and can function without the scales on. In the future if you have a knife related question for me please feel free to email me. I'd be glad to help.